• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Probate cost increase (up to £20,000)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probate cost increase (up to £20,000)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tax/news/...-cost-probate/

How much will probate cost your estate?

Up to £50,000 or exempt from requiring a grant of probate 58pc £0
    £50,000 - £300,000 23pc £300
    £300,000 - £500,000 11pc £1,000
    £500,000 - £1m 6pc £4,000
    £1m - £1.6m 1pc £8,000
    £1.6m - £2m 0.3pc £12,000
    Above £2m 0.5pc £20,000
    Ministry of Justice
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick
    Tags: None

Re: Probate cost increase (up to £20,000)

I believe there is a challenge to this as it has been indicated the amounts are effectively another death duty and therefore would not be allowed. Watch this space would be appropriate I think.
    I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

http://www.express.co.uk/comment/exp...roperty-estate

Comment

The fee is meant to reflect the cost for the Court in dealing with the paperwork, I wish it were possible to be paid £20,000 to do some admin! (well I don't actually, it is just plain wrong but that's my opinion).
        It is ridiculous and unfair to everyone. As lawyers we jumped up and down when the last fees were increased to £245. Solicitors can only charge £5 (plus £2 for each additional document attached when performing a swear of an Oath, which is set out in a statutory instrument. The Probate Registry charge is about £13 if you go there to swear the Oath. None of it is right. Blimey another little rant. Sorry peeps
        I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

We were charged £14 for the oath and also

Currently, probate fees are £215 per personal application, irrespective of the size of the estate concerned. For applications made through a solicitor, the rate is set at £155.

Why is it £60 more for for Joe public to apply? same forms, same info, maybe it's so the sols fees don't seem OTT which of course they very often are.

Comment

U-turn

Controversial plans to raise the legal fees payable after death are to be scrapped ahead of the general election.
            Probate fees had been due to rise from £155 or £215 to up to £20,000 for some estates in England and Wales from May.
            The Ministry of Justice said there was now not enough time for the legislation - dubbed a "stealth death tax" by critics - to go through Parliament.
            A senior Conservative declined to say if the scheme would be brought back if the prime minister was re-elected.
            Probate charges are paid to the government when someone dies and the executor of their estate gathers their assets to distribute to beneficiaries of a will.
            Currently, there is a flat fee of either £155 or £215 per application for probate, depending on whether or not the application is made through a solicitor.
            There is no fee paid for estates worth under £5,000.
            Legal move?

Under the proposed changes, this system would have been replaced by a sliding fee scale linked to the value of the estate.
            Thousands of people would have faced sharp jumps in probate costs as a result.
            Estates worth more than £50,000 and up to £300,000 would have attracted fees of £300, rising to £20,000 for those valued at more than £2m.
            Earlier this month, a committee of MPs and peers questioned whether the changes were legal, adding that the new charges "appear... to have the hallmarks of taxes rather than fees".
            The fees had been earmarked to raise around £300m a year towards running the courts and tribunal service.
            The new system would also have seen the threshold below which no fee was payable increased from £5,000 to £50,000, lifting an estimated additional 25,000 estates per year out of the requirement to pay a probate fee

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39663204

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X