• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CRA 2015 repair by manufacturer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRA 2015 repair by manufacturer

Evening all.

Long story short, purchased a steam generator iron from JL last September which refused to work in Jan of this year. Sent off to manufacturer for repair. Received iron back and it worked fine until last weekend (3 months after repair).

I have written to JL requesting a replacement (different brand) explaining that i had lost faith in the ability of a premium priced product to offer the reliability that i would have expected.

JL have replied that i need to go through another repair process as the item is over 6 months old - i think that this is within their terms and conditions.

I would very much appreciate better understanding my position under the CRA - does it matter who repaired the item initially and can i request a replacement under the CRA?

Many thanks

Paul
    Tags: None

Re: CRA 2015 repair by manufacturer

In short, their terms and conditions don't require you to go through a second repair, the CRA only says you need to repair or replace. Followbig failure of the repair your entitled to a refund if same issue. Or in your case if you want an alternative that is something that JL could offer but not obliged to do so since it's a different product.

I'm out all day so I'll tag [MENTION=39710]des8[/MENTION] to comment further, if not I'll respond when I'm back

The issue is that you sent to the manufacturer rather than JL direct, but I think it's a moot point, Assuming JL would have passed it onto the manufacturer. The CRA is rights against the trader who sold the goods not the manufacturer themselves if they didn't sell you it.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Many thanks ROb.

I have written back to JL and attached details of the 1st repair whilst pointing out my understanding of position - right to reject or appropriate refund.

I'll see what they come back with.

Thanks again.

Comment

Ok, after a little bit of email to and fro the response from JL is below. Looks to me that i have a take the repair or leave it. If there is no other option open to me i'm going to take the repair but it is not my desired outcome - would asking for details of the 1st and 2nd repairs be a worthwhile activity on the assumption that if the same fault i'd then push for a refund?

"Thank you for your email regarding your understanding of the consumer rights act 2015, I have read the section from your email which relates to claiming under the act in the event that an inherent fault had been proved through an independent report at your expense.

After a 6 month period the onus falls to the consumer to prove that the current fault was there at the point of delivery. This section does state that if a retailer has not provided a resolution or refused to do so then you can claim a partial reduction refund.

In this case we are more than happy to carry out a repair under your guarantee policy, that will get you back into the position before the fault occurred. To do this we will have the item inspected so that a fault can be confirmed and resolved.

It states in the act that the retailer can choose to offer a replacement or refund or repair based on what is more economically viable to do so.

In this case we are not asking you to prove any fault was inherent and we are certainly not refusing you a resolution under guarantee.

In terms of the act itself and your question of after 6 months, I have found in section 30 item number 2 section 2, advises that goods under guarantee :-

“Guarantee” here means an undertaking to the consumer given without extra charge by a person acting in the course of the person’s business (the “guarantor”) that, if the goods do not meet the specifications set out in the guarantee statement or in any associated advertising,

a, the consumer will be reimbursed for the price paid for the goods, or
        b, the goods will be repaired, replaced or handled in any way.

Also section 23 of the act advises under your Right to repair or replacement

subsection 3
        The consumer cannot require the trader to repair or replace the goods if that remedy (the repair or the replacement)—
        is disproportionate compared to the other of those remedies.

In this case if you were to have a intendant report that confirmed, the current issue was inherent and not related to the last repair or any part of that work carried out. Should you then claim a partial refund after any reduction being applied, you will not be in the same position before the fault had occurred where as.

With the repair being offered under the terms of the guarantee we are providing the resolution in line with the most economically viable option.

I hope that this has clarified that we are offering you a resolution for this problem in the most economically viable way whilst honouring the guarantee that is in place with your purchase. "

Looks to me that i have a take the repair or leave it. If there is no other option open to me i'm going to take the repair but it is not my desired outcome - would asking for details of the 1st and 2nd repairs be a worthwhile activity on the assumption that if the same fault i'd then push for a refund?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X