• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Another MBF VT thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another MBF VT thread

I'm on holiday at the moment and don't have the facilities to do this. I'll see what I can do when I get back to the UK

Comment

Okay...here goes...the result! I lost.

It took about 10 minutes to go through the facts of the case and for him to reach his decision. In his opinion it was clear that at the outset that I had agreed to MBF's terms which very much included me accepting the excess mileage costs. With regards to the oft quoted and relied upon 'nothing more to pay' statement, he said that this does not overrule MBF's terms and that it should be interpreted as 'nothing more to pay, apart from what you have contractually agreed to' i.e excess miles. My courtroom drama legal skills deserted me at this point, so I accepted his ruling and will pay up as per the judgement. Fortunately I don't have to pay their barrister costs which they were requesting.

As a final comment, there are some things worth noting which may or may not have made a difference. First off, I could have prepared better and submitted witness statements etc. Secondly I could have instructed solicitors to handle the case. However, the amount was only about £1,000 so hardly worth the additional cost. In any event I very much got the impression from the Judge that his view was that wording of the contract was crystal clear and that I was liable, so I doubt any amount of preparation would have made a difference in this instance.

So, a word of caution to anybody out there who is told by an enthusiastic car salesman that they don't have to pay the excess miles, you might not have to but in this case I certainly do.

Comment

Disappointing.. did you make any reference to section 100 of the CCA and what the judges comments were on that? or did you not mention it?

The termination statement quite clearly states that they will then be entitled to XYZ and if you have already paid it then you will not have to pay anything more. I'm surprised the judge thought the words 'pay nothing more' also includes any other contractual charges when the sentence preceding those words says exactly what they will be entitled to, but hey that's one view of looking at it and its only a CC decision so it is not binding on other other county court cases.

However, it is a lesson learnt that preparation is key and perhaps if the judge had the necessary background to the CCA and relevant evidence then he/she may have been swayed. There is of course the option to appeal but you need permission at a cost of £120 but only if you wish to continue otherwise it will be a case of paying up and accepting the judgment.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

No I didn't make reference to this as my understanding of the legislation is at best very limited and I'd be attempting to use this to my advantage when I'm not sure really how to use it.

However, yes I think you're right - preparation is key and had the £ value being contested been higher, then engaging the services of a solicitor might well have been worthwhile.

Comment

That's fair enough, I think even had you dropped section 100 into the mix, things could have been different because you could have said it limits your liability exactly as the express statement and it does explicitly say that, provided you refer to the definition of 'total price'. Though this is of course in hindsight. At least on the brighter side you didn't have to pay their legal costs.
            If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Lesson learned and thanks for your help throughout this matter.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X