• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

**ALERT** Bogus callers pretending to be Thames Water

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **ALERT** Bogus callers pretending to be Thames Water

There have been many reports of people targeting vunerable people in the following areas.

Dartford
    Ilford
    SE10

People are reporting that people are knocking on doors claiming to be Thames Water, it is later proved they are NOT.

Before you let anyone claiming to be an engineer in, please remember...

1: No engineer will come to your house without appointment- and it's bloody hard to get one. If you are in a smart metering area you will have a calling card requesting you call in for an appointment to fit a meter.

2: Meter readers will have full I.D and will not mind being asked to wait for you to verify them. They are expecting to be asked.
    3: DO NOT call any numbers you are given by someone on the door. Google the number yourself and call in.

4: Smarter Home Visit officers will have the same thing, ask them to wait outside and call to make sure. They will not mind in the slightest. They will offer you advice on how to save water and offer free gadgets to help. THEY WILL NOT ASK FOR ANY PAYMENTS AND THE INFORMATION THEY GIVE IS FREE OF CHARGE!
    You should also be given an appointment time for them arriving

5: Water Quality checks DO take place randomly, once again they will not mind being asked to wait while you verify their identity. They can just arrived unannounced but will ask to be allowed to pour one or two glasses of water and maybe flush the toilet. They may carry out a few tests on the water from your tap. Don't worry this is purely to ensure quality.

None of the above will ask any details of your account, if they do decline the information. Advise them you will call Customer Services to confirm these details at a later date. Meter installers may ask if you own the property. This is ok to disclose as they may need Landlord permission to fit a meter.

When dealing with a prospective engineer, remember the most important rule of all.

If in doubt, keep them out! Check with customer services, that's what they are there for!
    PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X