• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Pcp deal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pcp deal

I recently purchased a car through a pcp deal at arnold clark...i told them i wanted the car as a present for my daughter...the salesman told me to sign the contract and he would then send the v5 back and put it in my daughters name.....a few months later i contacted the finance company to change payment date only to be told i was breaking their rules and i would need either to return the car to them or take the car off my daughter and back into my name and be the main insured driver...have i been mis sold this car
    Tags: None

Re: Pcp deal

Hi and welcome
    you haven't been mis sold the car but the finance.
    I'm tagging someone who may be able to advise you [MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION]

Comment

Thanx...not sure how to use this site..have i to contact R0b

Comment

Hello

Did you not read the terms and conditions? Normally there is a clause which says you must be the main user of the car (or sole).
        You could try and argue misrepresentation but you might find it difficult, although there is no obligation for you to read the terms and conditions if you relied on the salesman's statement, it's still likely to be a difficult hurdle to jump.

Have you made a formal complaint about this to the lender?
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Yes..complained to the guy that sold me the car...i asked for a car for my daughter as a present...he just told me to sign the agreement...it was him that sent the v5 back and got it put in my daughters name..i believed everything was above board...stupid me

Comment

My daughter traded in a car and paid £550 in full for insurance..if she cancels insurance she will get £250 back...the rest of the money and car trade will be lost and i will have to insure a car that i will never drive as i have a mobility car

Comment

Originally posted by Dynafc67 View Post
              Yes..complained to the guy that sold me the car...i asked for a car for my daughter as a present...he just told me to sign the agreement...it was him that sent the v5 back and got it put in my daughters name..i believed everything was above board...stupid me
              Let's break this down:

1. Who is the sales person, was he an independent or part of a dealership and was he acting as an intermediary for the lender who offered the finance agreement?
              2. When you complained what did the sales person say? Have you formally complained to the lender?
              3. Was there anyone else with you who can verify and back up what you said?

Complaining to the sales person is not the route to go down. The lender owns the car and although the sales person originally misfed you that information, you have no contract with him as it is between you and the lender.
              If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER
              Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

The salesman works for arnold clark..my brother and my daughter were with me..when i contacted him he said he would accept fault and pay for the insurance change into my name..but has since changed his mind...the lender said that its against theit rules and that i either need to return the car and pay off whats owed in full..or take the car off my daughter and put v5 back in my name and make myself the main insured driver....this will be costly as i have zero no claims bonus as i have been driving a motability car since 1994...lender is basically saying its between myself and arnold clark

Comment

The question I guess is how far are you willing to go, are you willing to pursue it to court and take the risk of possibly losing if the court does not find in your favour?

I would suggest your initial starting point is to make a formal complaint to the lender. You should set out background details, what was discussed between you and the sales person at Arnold Clark and also mention that there were two witnesses who attended and heard the conversation. You should also mention that this is a case of misrepresentation and you were induced by the sales person's statements to enter into the contract specifically for the purpose of allowing your daughter to use it and because the sales person at Arnold Clark was acting as an intermediary for the agreement, the lender is liable for his actions. If you had known that your daughter would not be entitled to be the main driver, then you would not have entered into the agreement. There is some evidence which backs up your story because the name of the V5 was changed to the name of your daughter.

As a resolution, since there has been some use of the car you could suggest that in light of the circumstances the agreement should be terminated effective immediately without any penalty to you and that you will have the car returned back to the lender.

The lender will have 8 weeks to investigate the complaint and come to a final decision. If they do not uphold your complaint then they will explain why and you have the right to make a further complaint to the Financial Ombudsman which is free of charge. The FOS will tend to look at what's fair and reasonable and are not bound by the law so they can depart from the law if they feel it is necessary to do so. This is why sometimes you may get a better result from the FOS than if you went to court.

Even if the FOS do not uphold your complaint you are not legally bound by it unless you agree, so think carefully before signing any document from them.
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Thanx for your help...very much apreciated

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X