• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot and Restons CCJ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cabot and Restons CCJ

Originally posted by nelsonian View Post
    In terms of providing the copy, do you know exactly what they need to provide as this agreement was taken out before April 2007?
    I'll be happy to answer that question in due course.

You say the loan was taken out in 2005.

What was the term of the loan (expiry date) if it had run it's natural length? This may be relevant to your potential Statute Barred argument.

At what point/date did you stop paying?

Were you served with a Default Notice at any time?

Were you served with a Termination Notice at any time?

Did you have PPI on this loan?

Di

Comment

I am not entirely certain how the site works in terms of advice for cases of legal advice so I apologise if I am being presumptious by asking for advice.

. . . . If anyone can provide any help and advice on this I would be grateful and I apologise if I have mis-used this service.
      You are not being presumptuous asking for advice and you have not misused this service.

The forum is here to help members such as you who have received court claims.

I support the forum's objective.

Let's see where we go from here

Di

Comment

Originally posted by suzysue View Post
        Loan was made under duress?
        Right, this is becoming very silly, you suggest you understand the legislation then make ridiculous comments which suggest you do not. There are many reasons an agreement can be declared unenforceable, for example a breach of s78 CCA 1974, or a failure to adhere to the requirements of s90 CCA, or even a failure to give cancellation rights, or maybe a failure to give a statement under s77A CCA.

Unless you can offer something constructive????
        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
          Right, this is becoming very silly, you suggest you understand the legislation then make ridiculous comments which suggest you do not. There are many reasons an agreement can be declared unenforceable, for example a breach of s78 CCA 1974, or a failure to adhere to the requirements of s90 CCA, or even a failure to give cancellation rights, or maybe a failure to give a statement under s77A CCA.

Unless you can offer something constructive????
          Yes i do understand legislation.....the agreement is cancelled s78 does not apply to a non running regulated agreement. Will i now recieve an appology or will the post be deleted?

Comment

Yes i do understand legislation.....the agreement is cancelled s78 does not apply to a non running regulated agreement.
            Unless I'm wrong the OP says this was a fixed term loan which would (should) have been regulated under section 77 CCA not section 78?

See my post # 16

Di

Comment

Your loan is a running account agreement and creditor has a duty to give info on that account. Get in debt for non payment and eventually the running account will be cancelled due to dishonouring your contract. That is why i say ask for proof of signed agreement without the £1

Op person is going to send £1 so the cabot knows it is not a running regulated agreement anymore it is a DEBT OWED.

Comment

Yes i do understand legislation.....the agreement is cancelled s78 does not apply to a non running regulated agreement. Will i now recieve an appology or will the post be deleted?
                nope,and er nope, because im afraid that this line of argument is manifestly wrong, the FCA take the same view too by the way.

You seem to be suggesting the Rankine v Amex position suggested by HHJ Simon Brown, the problem is of course, the Rankine argument is nothing more than obiter, in Rankine the section 78 request had been complied with so the contention that when the agreement ends there is no longer any need to comply is obiter,

But in any event, if one looks to the statute, it tells us when s78 doesnt apply, which im surprised you werent aware of

(3)
                Subsection (1) does not apply to—
                (a)
                an agreement under which no sum is, or will or may become, payable by the debtor, or

(b)

a request made less than one month after a previous request under that subsection relating to the same agreement was complied with.
                I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

There is an application for a loan, that loan is agreed and becomes a regulated agreement on a running account. The creditor has a duty to give debtor information on that running account. Debtor fails to pay agreed amount every month and eventually the contract is cancelled, there is no running account any longer and the regulator would agree with creditor that he has the right to enforce the debt.

The courts say that pre action protocol must be done which is negotiating best way to settle this dispute, if creditor and debtor cannot settle then a judge will be used. Was there a contract? Of course there was and creditor will win.

Comment

Subsection (1) does not apply to—
                    (a)
                    an agreement under which no sum is, or will or may become, payable by the debtor, or

(b)

a request made less than one month after a previous request under that subsection relating to the same agreement was complied with.

Makes absolute sense that s1 does not apply if the debt has been paid in full

Comment

Was there a contract? Of course there was and creditor will win.
                      Golly you make that sound so simplistic.

I've just spent three days in court where the Judge took the view that although there was a contract it was irredeemably unenforceable. The creditor did not win.

This meant the claim of £71k (including legal costs) was thrown out.

Please don't spook the member who has started this thread in the hope of getting informed advice.

Di

Comment

I am not spooking anyone, i am simply giving advice for the op. That advice is that he should contact cabot for proof that cabot have authority to collect the debt that has not been paid. Sending a £1 for that info suggests that the account is still running and regulated which it is not due to the contract being cancelled.

If the account is cancelled then there is no running account to regulate and it becomes a debt owed in full.

Look at a mortgage payment where the mortgage supplier has a duty to send updates every month to the mortgagor

I think you should also read s10
                        Last edited by suzysue; 26th March 2017, 22:53:PM.

Comment

Give the full citation please.
                          Carey v HSBC Bank PLC [2009] EWHC 3417 QB

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
                            I'll be happy to answer that question in due course.

You say the loan was taken out in 2005.

What was the term of the loan (expiry date) if it had run it's natural length? This may be relevant to your potential Statute Barred argument.

At what point/date did you stop paying?

Were you served with a Default Notice at any time?

Were you served with a Termination Notice at any time?

Did you have PPI on this loan?

Di
                            Hi Diana

Thanks for your offer of help.

I've replied to the questions you raised by a private message. Can you let me know if you received it please?

Comment

Hi Diana

Thanks for your offer of help.

I've replied to the questions you raised by a private message. Can you let me know if you received it please?
                              Yes I have and I've just replied.

Di

Comment

It seems your PM Inbox is full so you may need to delete some messages in order to receive mine.

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X