• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot - dodgy documents sent?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot - dodgy documents sent?

Thank you all for your invaluable contribution to this forum. I am in a situation where I would be grateful to get some advice on what to do next:
    - I received letters from Cabot financial (CF)regarding a capital one credit card debt; the account in question was openeded around 2004 and I made a last payment late 2013 to a DC (whose name I can’t remember)
    - CF then instructed Mortimer Clarke (MC) to write me saying they are intending to take me to court if I don’t respond within 14 days
    - In response I wrote both CF and MT a letter requesting a CCA, statement of account showing all charges/interest and default notices served; all to be provided within 12 working days
    - CF acknowledged my request and stating they do not have this information and aim to provide it within 40 days even though they acknowledge the 12 day time limit
    - A month later CF wrote: unfortunately we have not been able to provide you with the requested information within the relevant time frame. Your credit agreement remains unenforceable currently which means we are not permitted to take you to court
    - Fastfoward 6 months later I just received a pack from MC which states a copy of the agreement, statements of account and default notice have been included. An expenditure has also been included for me to fill out and return.
    - There are a few points with the contents of the pack which make me wonder what these guys are up to
    o Two photocopies of an application form which has my name and address and my signature and date. The section entitled “Credit card account agreement” which is immediately above the signature is completely illegible on one of the copies and just about legible on the other.
    o Terms and conditions entitled “Credit agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974”. The first sentence states my name: The agreement is between Ms xyz, address and us. There is no date to this document and no page numbers
    o Another document entitled “terms of your capital one credit card agreement”. This one has another previous address of mine (different from the one stated above)
    o A statement of accounts from the account was opened to date
    o Two default notices: of with my name, the other of another person’s name at a completely different address. I have no clue who that person is. I note that the other person’s default notice is more “professional” than mine because it states the balance, credit limit and overdue amount. Whereas “mine” only states the overdue amount of £319, the letter dated 13/11/2012. The other person’s one stated the amount owed as of the stated date; “mine” doesn’t
    o Having looked through the statements they sent, I noticed that the overdue amount stated on the default notice with my name (£319) is not reflected in the statement of that month (NOV 2012). The statement of OCT 12 states min. payment due £431; NOV 12 states £547. The figures don’t match.

Would they be able to proceed with applying for a CCJ in these circumstances? What would be the appropriate next steps to take? Note they expect me to return an expenditure form (not sure they sent one to begin with). Any advice will be grately appreciated.

pharmchick
    Tags: None

Re: Cabot - dodgy documents sent?

Hi pharmchick

Have you SAR'd Cap1 for info yet?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi charitynjw, thanks for your reply. No I haven't sent a SAR request to C1 yet. I guess this would be a good time do so??

Comment

What is the legal implication (if any) of them having sent me another person's default notice with their full address and name? This is in addition to having a figure in their default notice that doesn't match the statement they provided me

Comment

Me - I would have no hesitation to report these idiots to the FCA/ICO and everybody you can, also I would contact the other person and inform them what has happened and get them to make waves thru complaints etc and compensation.

- - - Updated - - -

do not send back to Cabot!
          [MENTION=61310]diana[/MENTION]M

Comment

Make the complaint yourself

There are many companies that offer to complain on your behalf, usually known as claim handlers, claims firms or claims management companies (CMCs).
            But making a complaint to a firm or the Financial Ombudsman Service(link is external) is a free, simple process you can do yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by pharmchick View Post
              Hi charitynjw, thanks for your reply. No I haven't sent a SAR request to C1 yet. I guess this would be a good time do so??
              Yep!
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

From the ICO site, go there and complain on line

8/2
                consumer complains after debt collector left debt details on his front door

As Mr M arrived home from work, he was told by a neighbour that a debt collector had been asking after him. He then found that the debt collector had left a note on his front door, explaining they’d visited about arrears on his loan.
                Mr M complained to the loan provider, saying he was very embarrassed that his neighbour now knew he was in debt – and that this had been displayed in a note for anyone to see.
                The loan provider apologised and offered to reduce Mr M’s arrears by £25. But Mr M didn’t feel this made up for the embarrassment of having people know about his financial circumstances – so he brought his complaint to us.
                complaint upheld
                The loan provider had accepted that their debt collector shouldn’t have left the note. But to decide whether they’d done enough to put things right, we needed to understand what the impact had been on Mr M.
                Mr M sent us the note – and a photo he’d taken of it pinned to his door. The note included specific details about how much he owed – and it had been clearly visible. Mr M said that one of his neighbours had read the note and talked to the debt collector. He said that when this neighbour was telling him about the debt collector’s visit, some of his other neighbours were nearby and could have overheard.
                Mr M told us he was extremely embarrassed by what had happened – and was now worried about bumping into his neighbours.
                We pointed out to the loan provider that industry guidance for debt collection clearly states that companies shouldn’t disclose debt details to third parties. In our view, while the debt collector hadn’t given any details directly to Mr M’s neighbours, the fact they’d left the note clearly visible on his front door meant they’d breached this guidance.
                The incident had been very upsetting for Mr M – and we agreed that the loan provider hadn’t fully recognised the impact on him. We told them to increase their offer to £400, to better reflect the worry and embarrassment their actions had caused.

Comment

Thanks a lot for all the info, very useful! Should I keep quiet and not reply them or should I reply stating the reasons why I am not satisfied with the authenticity of the paperwork they sent me given they included someone else's default notice and that I am considering reporting the serious breach of data protection act to the ICO? I want to "corner" them to agree a very reduced final settlement offer of not more than £100 (alleged balance is 1600, a huge chunk of that is charges) if they don't want me to cause a huge stink about sending me someone's else's default notice. I don't want to be accused of blackmail, so I am cautious of how to approach this. An alternative would be to wait until they take me to court and then present the other person's default notice along with the discrepancies in default amounts as my defense. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of these strategies?

Comment

do not be nice to them they are the worlds worse, you make a mistake and they would hammer you use dog eat dog approach with them, tell the other person also report them as advised. no blackmail because you are filling facts at this stage!

Comment

I am trying to post a picture of the copy of application form they sent me. Can you guys have a brief look at let me know if its likely to be deemed compliant? Picture coming in a minute...

Comment

please see attachment below
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                          From the ICO site, go there and complain on line

8/2
                          consumer complains after debt collector left debt details on his front door

As Mr M arrived home from work, he was told by a neighbour that a debt collector had been asking after him. He then found that the debt collector had left a note on his front door, explaining they’d visited about arrears on his loan.
                          Mr M complained to the loan provider, saying he was very embarrassed that his neighbour now knew he was in debt – and that this had been displayed in a note for anyone to see.
                          The loan provider apologised and offered to reduce Mr M’s arrears by £25. But Mr M didn’t feel this made up for the embarrassment of having people know about his financial circumstances – so he brought his complaint to us.
                          complaint upheld
                          The loan provider had accepted that their debt collector shouldn’t have left the note. But to decide whether they’d done enough to put things right, we needed to understand what the impact had been on Mr M.
                          Mr M sent us the note – and a photo he’d taken of it pinned to his door. The note included specific details about how much he owed – and it had been clearly visible. Mr M said that one of his neighbours had read the note and talked to the debt collector. He said that when this neighbour was telling him about the debt collector’s visit, some of his other neighbours were nearby and could have overheard.
                          Mr M told us he was extremely embarrassed by what had happened – and was now worried about bumping into his neighbours.
                          We pointed out to the loan provider that industry guidance for debt collection clearly states that companies shouldn’t disclose debt details to third parties. In our view, while the debt collector hadn’t given any details directly to Mr M’s neighbours, the fact they’d left the note clearly visible on his front door meant they’d breached this guidance.
                          The incident had been very upsetting for Mr M – and we agreed that the loan provider hadn’t fully recognised the impact on him. We told them to increase their offer to £400, to better reflect the worry and embarrassment their actions had caused.
                          That would be a breach of the FCA handbook too, and would arguably give an argument for an unfair relationship too.
                          I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

That's a hefty income for a student in 2004.
                            & PPI seems to be included in the agreement.
                            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Really, PPI included? I didn't eveh know that.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X