• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Yet another variation on computer Scam from India.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another variation on computer Scam from India.

Helping an old lady yesterday and she received a phone call from "BT - Openreach" . Passed the call to me.

She was being offered a refund as compensation for the intermittent lack of speed on her internet line. The offer was from John, with a very obvious Indian accent. I told him that he was talking "B******cks". He seemed to have trouble understanding the technical wording so passed me up to his supervisor.

Supervisor also had problems with the technical terns I used. He did explain that they were giving refunds because of the poor service. I just said it was a scam to get money. He, of course, assured me that it was not and there was no charge, indeed they would be giving money back. I didn't follow through on it but I presume the next request from him would be for bank account details in order to send the refund.

I then told him that the line and broadband services to this house were provided by Virgin Media and had nothing to do with BT or Openreach. He tried to convince me, over several minutes and a voice getting louder and louder, that Openreach is responsible for all internet services in the UK. He eventually hung up on me. At least that was 8 minutes he was not scamming someone else.

I forgot to tell him that BT and Open reach are now separate companies. I'll wait till they call me on my home number to explain this.

I've just heard on the news this morning that regulations are being suggested/are in place to make the internet companies liable to pay compensation for bad service. Was this UK announcement just a coincidence or are those damn Indian scammers making use of it?

By the way, a speed check on the lady's internet connection showed 50 Mb/s. Far from tardy!
    Tags: None

Re: Yet another variation on computer Scam from India.

Call from 0125458458.
    Very strong accent.
    " Hi, how are you"
    Me, "Who is this"
    "Sparkle, from BT Technical"
    Me, "Oh yes, can you prove this please"
    Call terminated.
    Reported to BT and number blocked posted here on spam calls.
    I have had problems, yet again recently with my connections so it is possible that if Mr DT answered this call he may have been taken in, me if it sounds fishey ( accent and spoof number) it proberly is!
    However @ostell has encouraged me to play along next time!
    Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

Much better to string them along to stop them ringing others. Best I've managed so far is 25 minutes on the Virus Scam.

Comment

I've managed 40 minutes before they swore profusely at me and hung up but there is available on the internet a recording of well over an hour with these people.

Comment

If they were offering a refund then I'd have said that they need to send the money to the address on screen and that will be fine. If they even consider asking you for your address then they are dumbasses!!! I'd probably take their full name and the office that they are calling from as well
          "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
          (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

They'll be looking for the details of the bank account to send the refund.

I had 2 International calls yesterday with call centre noises but they must have picked up another call and dropped mine. I'll let you know if they call again and I have the time

Comment

That's why I tell em to send a check as I don't accept direct payments(we both know that's BS but.....)
              "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
              (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X