• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dealer refuses to repair car under Consumer Rights Act 2015

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealer refuses to repair car under Consumer Rights Act 2015

I bought a Golf TDI 09 plate from a dealer for £6000 on 01-02-17 and 31days later a fault light appeared on the car. As it was due for a service we decided to take it to Volkswagen for its service. 4 weeks later the car was said to not be in a runnable condition. More repairs were advised. At this point we decided to take it to the dealer as we know under the law they have one chance to repair the vehicle to a condition that is fit for purpose.

Today (23-03-17) they have refused to repair the vehicle despite my protests that they are responsible under the 2015 law, they claim that as the car has an RAC warranty we have to take it up with RAC. I want to follow the steps set out in the 2015 law, give them a chance to repair and if they can't get my refund.

I've decided to consult solicitors, but because the car is under £10,000 the case would not cover their fees, so I can't rely on solicitors.

I'm at a quandary, what do I do now? I've sought legal advice from Citizen's advice and they told me to write a letter, which I shall do, but it will be the same response from the dealer that they don't have to repair it. So what can I do? The law is clear, but I can't uphold it.

Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks
    Last edited by Punio; 23rd March 2017, 18:48:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Dealer refuses to repair car under Consumer Rights Act 2015

Did you pay for the car on a credit card ?

Comment

In this case scenario, Contact your local Trading Standards Office, they will advise you or may take action on your behalf.
      I would also contact the RAC and get their view
      Sparkie

Comment

Or having written your Letter before Action, in which you give them 14 days to extract their digit, you initiate court action!

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

@Fred - I used debit card
          @Sparkie1723 - I will do that
          @des8 - I think that digit is going to be hard to remove, but I will send that letter

Regarding the letter, I want to get a solicitor to write the letter so that there is evidence/proof that I have sent one. Citizen's Advice said to just send a recorded delivery, but witnessing these crooks post sale I reckon they might claim to have received a delivery from me but it contained nothing in it. Advice on this? Can I get a witness another way to prove they have been sent the letter.

Comment

If you really feel you need proof (which you don't) a certificate of posting (free) is sufficient!
            ..and how much is that solicitor going to charge for a simple letter? Nonrecoverable!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X