• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Letting agents refuse to help fix my lawn.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letting agents refuse to help fix my lawn.

Hi

I am not sure where to post this so hopefully someone will lead me to the correct place so I can get some advice.

I moved into a private rented property in February 2017 now that the weather has started to change I thought it would be time to start organising the garden for the summer. One of the reasons that we chose to rent this property is the size of the back garden. I have noticed that the lawn isnt in a very good condition it has completly been taken over by moss, to the point that it only has partial parts of grass and lots and lots of weeds.

I emailed my letting agency and told them about the problem and to ask them could they arrange for someone to come and look at it as if i try to treat the lawn with a moss or weed killer It will kill all the moss and weeds and then leave a very patchy lawn.

My agency responded saying that in my tenancy agreement part 3.33 It is my responsibility to maintain the gardens. Where do i stand in this? could I tell them that that I am fine maintaining the garden but when the lawn is not in a fit condition i can not maintain it.

Also a few of the fence panels are damaged at the bottom as they are very old and have worn and rotted. I paid an extra £200 deposit so that I could keep a dog at the property. Should they replace the fence panels?

Thanks
    Tom
    Tags: None

Re: Letting agents refuse to help fix my lawn.

Originally posted by rocky1987 View Post
    Hi

I am not sure where to post this so hopefully someone will lead me to the correct place so I can get some advice.

I moved into a private rented property in February 2017 now that the weather has started to change I thought it would be time to start organising the garden for the summer. One of the reasons that we chose to rent this property is the size of the back garden. I have noticed that the lawn isnt in a very good condition it has completly been taken over by moss, to the point that it only has partial parts of grass and lots and lots of weeds.

I emailed my letting agency and told them about the problem and to ask them could they arrange for someone to come and look at it as if i try to treat the lawn with a moss or weed killer It will kill all the moss and weeds and then leave a very patchy lawn.

My agency responded saying that in my tenancy agreement part 3.33 It is my responsibility to maintain the gardens. Where do i stand in this? could I tell them that that I am fine maintaining the garden but when the lawn is not in a fit condition i can not maintain it.

Also a few of the fence panels are damaged at the bottom as they are very old and have worn and rotted. I paid an extra £200 deposit so that I could keep a dog at the property. Should they replace the fence panels?

Thanks
    Tom
    Good afternoon, welcome to LB,

Most tenancy agreements have that type of clause when a garden or gardens are present, we have always had this with our tenants.

However I believe the garden should be in a reasonable state when a tenant moves in and should then be maintained thereafter by the tenant.

If the fence panel are unsafe/unstable e.g. likely to collapse or be dislodged by wind and cause risk to the tenant and others they should be repaired /maintained by the landlord.

Do you have contact with the LL? Perhaps direct contact may prove of benefit.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by rocky1987 View Post
      I have noticed that the lawn isnt in a very good condition it has completly been taken over by moss, to the point that it only has partial parts of grass and lots and lots of weeds.

I'm afraid your letting agent is correct if that clause exists in your tenancy agreement.

You are required to maintain the garden in the same condition as it was when you moved in. You cannot ask the Landlord to 'improve' things. Neither the lawn nor the fence panels.

There should have been an inventory when you moved in which details the condition of the property inside and out (hopefully with photos). The Landlord does not have to raise the standard of anything. The garden is no different to the interior of the property, so it would be like asking him to change carpets or light fittings to suit.

How long do you intend to stay in the property? If you're in it for the long hall then you may wish to fix the lawn and the fence yourself (i.e. at your own expense) but you would need your Landlords permission in theory. I'm sure he won't object.

Di

Comment

Hi Nem,

Yeah I have direct contact I emailed them regarding the lawn. Their response was that it is my responsibility to maintain the garden. I just dont know how I will maintain a lawn that size as it will all die once the moss has gone as that is what is making it look like a lawn.

Comment

I'm sorry you're in this situation. I think you have no choice but to find yourself a good lawn mowing company.

Comment

The grass will be very long now as this thread is 4 years old now.

Comment

Hahahah, I think he managed to cope with his lawn and without someone's help.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X