• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Twitter Defamation Case - interesting read Munroe v Hopkins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twitter Defamation Case - interesting read Munroe v Hopkins

https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-cont...b-20170310.pdf

Makes for a good read if you're interested in this area of law at all, and developments of, .... or are just nosey

Also, if you haven't already, worth a read is the McApline v Bercow case https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/judgmen...ment-24052013/
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

Re: Twitter Defamation Case - interesting read Munroe v Hopkins

Yep Katie Hopkins used the wrong hashtag and so defamed Jack Monroe by mistake. At £24k damages and an estimated £100k costs it was an expensive tweet.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
      At £24k damages and an estimated £100k costs it was an expensive tweet.
      The costs is only an interim and yet to be assessed.. some have reported costs amounting to over £300k, which could turn out to be an expensive mistake.

Why she didn't retract and apologise when she became aware of the mistake I don't know but I guess the question is whether she will continue to do what she does in light of this or will she be more careful.

Does she even have the money to pay since she defended the claim on a no-win no-fee basis?!
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post

Does she even have the money to pay since she defended the claim on a no-win no-fee basis?!
        Hopefully not lol.

Comment

Funnily enough, I read a post on a cycling forum on FaceBook last Friday and the guy who posted it had stated the the driver of the Tesco delivery van was a clown.

After watching the video, and seeing the van was actually Iceland.

I responded simply stating that I hoped the video hadn't gone viral as he could be done for making libellous comments. This is someone on a group I am a member of and therefore 'know' in that typical FaceBook fashion.

I was lambasted by quite a few of the members for my comment which was a factual comment then I saw the Hopkins case on the news that night. Funny how if someone disagrees with what you say it suddenly makes it an invalid comment!

Comment

While I do believe that people should be free to express their opinions without fear of libel suits flying about, Katie Hopkins is a particularly vicious piece of work. She is famous for being on the apprentice, has no specific skills or achievements and has smirked, sneered and blagged her way to fame appealing to the type of bitchy audience that only these choleric times could spawn.
            She gives social commentary a bad name and although I would fight to the death for freedom of speech and accept that in this instance she made a mistake, I am absolutely thrilled she is being sued to the bottom of her ‘not as feathered as she implies’ bank account.
            What? Too strong?

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
            ~ Anonymous

Comment

The use of twitter and social media is quite interesting especially in litigation. There was recently a case in a newspaper near to me that related to the sharing of posts suggesting certain religious buildings be destroyed.
              "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
              (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X