• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Single Persons Discount and whether I have to grass?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Persons Discount and whether I have to grass?

Hi

I have had some issues in the past with Council Tax

CLIFFS of old issues
    They waited three years to ask me for any money
    I offered to pay for it all in one go [even though it was a large sum - I hate owing money]
    Was told to wait for single person’s discount
    Then it got ‘passed on’ so fines were added
    Council said they couldn’t take payment from me [because of fines - the account had been passed on]
    Lots of emails and calls later [for no reason] suddenly the person on the phone [council person not fines person] let me pay what I owed – all three years in one go [and none of the fines - though he said I still owed that money]

So I am sure I have fines still attached to that issue, but I feel like that was always ‘their’ fault in not taking payment from me [either refusing or telling me to get single persons discount first and then not applying the discount for months after I applied for it] - I have recorded calls of me calling offering to pay the full amount but being told they could not accept any payment

Right… that’s all old stuff

I like to pay upfront for the year

I thought I was up to date. But [at the end of 2016] suddenly I was getting visits [I’m out early so hand delivered letters] for fines/money owed [rather scary/threatening letters - about how they were going to come back in 24hrs and take my possessions - they have never been in my home]

I thought it was to do with the old issues

Maybe some of the fines are/were [?]

Looks like they went to court, after revoking my single persons discount [25% reduction]

As I have told the council [many, many times] I don’t receive letters and they need to email me. They say they will but clearly didn’t in anything to do with this issue.

I contacted them [when I realised from the hand delivered bailiff letter] and told them I have always lived alone.

They seem to think my sister lives with me

Which she doesn’t and never has

Anyway today I got my normal yearly demand [by email – thank goodness for that] and as I had emailed I was single and always have lived alone, I was surprised that they hadn’t applied the discount.

I emailed them 1/2/17 and then followed up on 20/2/17 – the follow up saying I presumed it had all been sorted as they hadn’t got back to me

So I emailed again today

As well as the email I worked out the 25% off and paid my year [minus the single persons discount] straight away

Then I got a weird email at 2:19am – a few hours ago

This is it in full:

Good afternoon

Please advise us of your sisters address that she is registered at.

regards

Council Tax Section

It has both my 10 digit ref number in the subject and my 20/2/17 and 1/2/17 emails attached below it [but not the one I sent earlier today and didn't seem to be connected to today's email or payment at all]

But the email felt rather dodgy – as it was sent at 2:19am – and wasn’t signed by anyone, no contact details/name/number

Feels wrong.

My main question is this:

I have always lived alone, I haven’t done anything sneaky, that is not some story for the council – that is the truth. Do I have to give my sisters address to them. If I don’t will I be in trouble. I ask as I don’t know her address. I really don’t. And we are not on the best of terms, so I’m not sure if asking her, and then passing her address on, is a very good move in terms of family life.

So I would love any sort of general guidance

I am happy for them to make a visit to prove I live alone - they can come any day/time as they will only find the truth that I am living by myself.

Sorry the post was so long
    Tags: None

Re: Single Persons Discount and whether I have to grass?

Update of sorts

Got another hand delivered letter today - probably the same as previous ones

It says this:

'Removal Notice, I have attended your property to collect the sum outstanding of £xxxxx (inclusive of fees and costs, on behalf of the above named client) or remove your goods for sale at public auction.

If I fail to receive contact to make arrangements for the collection of the above balance, I will return at a time convenient to me.

You do not need to be at the property for me to remove your goods

To avoid further action contact me on xxxxx’

As this is for single person’s discount [so I won’t have to pay this once it’s sorted] I’m just going to ignore the letter

Note they have never been let into the property

The letter is all BS isn’t it [?]

Written to scare me?

They can’t come in and remove goods – whether I am or am not there

Unless I have this wrong and they can

But if it’s BS as I suspect, how can they be allowed to write letters like that – which are not factual and clearly set to scare people

Again any and all advice is most welcome

Comment

First I would advise that you get a post office box. Court papers are always sent by post. https://www.royalmail.com/business/s...x/apply-online. Go to a solicitor and make a statutory declaration that your sister does not live with you.
      Fighting the council is hard work especially on council tax, the rules are stacked in their favour.

- - - Updated - - -

Bump

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Kni View Post
          I have always lived alone, I haven’t done anything sneaky, that is not some story for the council – that is the truth. Do I have to give my sisters address to them. If I don’t will I be in trouble. I ask as I don’t know her address. I really don’t. And we are not on the best of terms, so I’m not sure if asking her, and then passing her address on, is a very good move in terms of family life.
          The onus is on the council to ascertain entitlement to a discount - if they don't believe one applies then they don't have to grant it. As part of their legal responsibility to the tax payer then it wouldn't be seen as unreasonable for them to ask for further evidence to satisfy their determination of entitlement.

There's no legal requirement for you to provide the information to ascertain discount entitlement but on the other hand there is no requirement to grant it if they aren't satisfied. It would need a decision of a valuation tribunal for a formal ruling.

The council could send a notice for information in order to determine liability, if they believe it may be wrong (for example another person who may also be liable). This can be issued as a formal notice for which a penalty could be given where the information isn't supplied.

Craig

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X