• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

VT of Peugeot Finance of a used car, issue with paying outstanding GAP insurance?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VT of Peugeot Finance of a used car, issue with paying outstanding GAP insurance?

Hi, and thanks for accepting me on the forum!

I've got a 2010 Peugeot 3008 which I've had for nearly 3 years. I bought it as a used car in April 2014 from Robins & Day in Birmingham on a 5 year finance deal. For the 5 years I would have GAP insurance on it. I pay £177 per month in one payment only to Peugeot/PSA Finance.

Through one reason or another, I now want to get rid of the car. I've spoken to Peugeot who sent me through a final settlement statement. I'm well over 50% paying the car back so I've nothing to pay on the car itself. However, they have said that I need to pay £180 to cover the GAP insurance on the vehicle.

I rang them up as an initial enquiry, and I queried this with the lady who spoke to me. She said that the GAP insurance is seperate to the finance and Peugeot paid the GAP insurance in full on my behalf. So I'm paying Peugeot back apparently. I asked her though wouldn't Peugeot get a refund on the insurance if it had been paid in full, like you would with other forms of insurance bought for the full term - when she promptly hung up. Professional!

Anyway, after this call I emailed Peugeot requesting a copy of my contract that I agreed to and the terms for the GAP insurance. It's at this point I get an email back saying:

"unfortunately we don’t hold the terms and conditions for your GAP policy; you would need to contact your GAP provider directly in this regard."

I replied saying I was under the assumption Peugeot were in charge of the GAP as I'm paying Peugeot for it, especially as I need to pay the balance of it. I got another response from them saying that I would need to speak to the dealership where I bought the car from in order to find this out. I called Robins & Day and they told me the GAP insurance is provided by Car Care Plan UK.

Now, obviously, I don't want to pay any more than I have to and I have read in other places that if you have paid over 50% of the finance deal there is no settlement figure for the GAP insurance? I don't quite understand it to be honest, and it's just this sum of money that is preventing me from starting the process of VT properly as the car is ready to go.

So do I actually have to pay Peugeot the balance of the GAP insurance even if it's a 3rd party that I have the policy with?
    Tags: None

Re: VT of Peugeot Finance of a used car, issue with paying outstanding GAP insurance?

I've managed to find the forum post that I referred to in the above: http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...-GAP-insurance

Comment

Re: VT of Peugeot Finance of a used car, issue with paying outstanding GAP insurance?

If it were me in this situation, and the car was "ready to go", then I would probably send the notice of VT asap and worry about defending against the erroneous sounding gap insurance later...

Comment

I initially wanted to do that, but I wanted to be sure I was right in what I was thinking before causing more hassle for myself.

I popped in to the dealership yesterday to track down the ellusive terms and conditions for the GAP policy, but the guy I spoke to wasn't sure whether I came under an arrangement with an old insurer or their current one. He gave me the email to their manager, and she emailed me this:

"I do believe it was Car Care plan back then and my understanding is you pay the full premium as part of the settlement to hand the ca back then you contact Car Care Plan to cancel the policy and you will receive any refund pro-rata"

I'm going to contact them on my lunch break to see if that's the case. However I do not recall Car Care Plan being mentioned at any point. Not even in the contract I signed.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X