• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Property Ownership/Rights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property Ownership/Rights

Hello,

Please can someone offer some advice with regard to my property which I co-own with my wife as Joint Tenants. We have recently purchased this property and my mother has moved in with us after selling her property and she has given us the proceeds. I have enquired with a Solicitor recommended by my union who suggest that I have to change my ownership to tenants in common and they will create a document that gives her rights to stay in the property in the event of mine or my wife's death or both. We each have two children from previous marriages.

is it possible just to make my mother the beneficiary of my estate if I die, therefor protecting her interests if I am no longer here if, say my wife remarried.

Thank you.
    Tags: None

Re: Property Ownership/Rights

Hi Willy100,
    Short answer, yes you could leave your mother your estate, although your wife would also need a right to reside in your share of the property. However, playing devil's advocate, what happens if you or your wife divorce or were to become bankrupt, how is your mother's contribution to the property protected? None of us know what will happen in the future. Unfortunately we have to protect ourselves. I assume your mother's contribution was substantial and in the event she needed to move to her own place or needed a care home or to pay for care, her money would then be tied into the property? Am I correct in assuming that without mum's contribution you would not be able to be in this property?
    It is your mother that needs to obtain advice on protecting her interest and/or her finances for the future.
    Another issue may be that if in the future your mother did require care whether in a care home or at home, and an assessment for funding was carried out, the Local Authority may look behind any arrangements that you have entered into, if they believe that her assets/funds have been utilised to deprive them of the fees for such care.
    Sorry, probably not what you wish to hear but she should take advice herself really on how to protect her interest. In any event you will also need to take advice on how best to protect all three of you at the property, in the event one of you passes away and in order to best deal with the children too.
    I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X