• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Delegation of Executors Powers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delegation of Executors Powers

Hi all

Here's one to tax your collective legal brains. My Aunt died leaving a correctly signed and witnessed will of which my elderly father (her brother) was made the sole executor. I am the sole beneficiary of the will. My Aunt was a UK citizen but lived and worked in the US for 40 or so years. Among her relatively modest assets was a US SunTrust Bank current account with a balance of $28k. Suntrust have received and accepted certified evidence of my Aunt's death and her will. However, unlike other investments my Aunt held in the US, Suntrust Bank are insisting my father as executor appear in person in Atlanta before transferring the funds to the estate.

My father is elderly, doesn't enjoy flying, and is busy with his work as an architect - he has no wish to fly to Atlanta, although he could physically do so. The whole idea of the executor having to appear in person seems completely 'over the top' but I have offered a compromise of appearing for him in Atlanta. Sunttrust say they may accept this if I can produce some form of official delegation of my father's powers (not duties) authorising me to act for him.

My question is simply, is such a delegation possible - I have no professional capacity in the normally acceptable sense, simply more time and physical ability to withstand the rigours of appearing in person in Atlanta.

I wonder if anyone has experience of a similar situation, or can offer any advice?

Many thanks

Dominic
    Tags: None

Re: Delegation of Executors Powers

Hi Dominic,

How strange! Not heard this one before. I wonder whether your father could have a general power of attorney (PoA) prepared appointing you to deal with SunTrust? It does seem somewhat sledgehammer and nut expecting you to fly out to Atlanta to deal with this. Or maybe your father could appoint a US Attorney under a general power of attorney? I'm afraid I don't have a definite answer as to whether this would work for SunTrust, just some ideas. I definitely wouldn't get the PoA prepared without confirmation in writing from SunTrust, that they would accept this, unless you don't mind a holiday in Atlanta of course!

It may be an idea to speak to someone more senior at SunTrust if you haven't already, just to check exactly what the requirements are and what can be done to deal with the issue, again get it in writing incase there are any problems down the line.

Good luck.
    I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

Re: Delegation of Executors Powers

Thank you Peridot - it is rather odd isn't?!

The idea of delegating to a US attorney is a novel approach and might be worth exploring - we happen to have friends in Atlanta one of whom is an attorney. So thanks for that suggestion!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X