• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Default on my credit file from Barclays! Please help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default on my credit file from Barclays! Please help!

Hi there,

In 2013 I took out a Barclays account for work purposes and set up a few standing orders to go into my NatWest account. Soon after, I decided to stop using the Barclays account but forgot to cancel the standing orders. After getting into contact with a Barclays representative and explaining the situation, the representative said that she could see what had happened and would reduce the charges, claiming that I just had to pay a small sum to take my account into a free overdraft. The representative continued to explain further that I would then be able to pay the account off when I felt fit. With this in mind, I let the account stand for a few months whilst I went and worked abroad.

However, whilst abroad my parents' address, of which my bank account was linked to, had changed as they had moved home, and after a year I suddenly started getting letters from a debt collection agency about the Barclays account. After contacting the debt collection agency, they ran me through what I owed, and the sum of this was much greater than the original repayment Barclays had told me to make. When contacting Barclays to find out more information, they refused to go into detail about the issue as they had my date of birth wrongly recorded. After a few weeks of contacting both Barclays and the debt collectors, it was explained that I could resolve this issue by going into a Barclays branch with a form of identification.

Once this was sorted, I contacted Barclays again. I explained the previous situation with the representative I had contacted firstly, and also explained the fact that my previous address had changed, therefore leaving me unknowing of any letters sent by Barclays until I was contacted by the debt collectors. At this point, Barclays agreed to write me a letter in good faith to reduce the accumulated charges to the original amount owed. A representative from Barclays then told me that if I paid the remaining charges in full, that it would show well on my credit file compared to setting up a payment plan, leading me to continue with doing the former.

A little later on, I decided to do a credit search, finding that Barclays had put a default on my account which will now always affect me. I had been more than co-operative once finding out about the problem with the account. I have never had any late payments on anything and I have had two Barclays finance agreements out which both had been fully paid off with no late payments, yet now my credit file is permanently affected. I'm left not knowing how to resolve this, and therefore come to you seeking any advice that you can give.

All help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X