• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How to strike out a claim? URGENT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to strike out a claim? URGENT

I revieved a mcol, no particulars at all just a fixed sum.

I filed a defence based on what I think it could be about just to purely put in a defence, I have received the directions questionnaire and before I fill it in and return it I wanted to explore the possibility of applying to have the claim struck out?
    (I originally wrote to the court asking them to strike out the claim if the claimant failed to provide the poc's within 14days along with my aos but got no reply)

Is it worth writing to the court and asking them to consider it on the grounds the claimant provided no Particulars at all?

Or should I hope the court decide to strike it out without my prompt?
    I'd like to avoid a hearing but at this point with my limited knowledge of what POCS I'm not in a position to accept mediation. I know the claimant is doing this out of spite and I owe no money so it's very annoying to me to have to go through any of this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Tags: None

Re: How to strike out a claim? URGENT

Did the claimant put on the claim form that Particulars of Claim were to follow ?

As you have put in your defence already then you can use the DQ to ask for it, however the claimant could simply provide the further particulars to get the claim on track. Could you post the claim word for word, and your defence to it pls. Is the claim over £10k ? I wouldn't just hope the court decides to strike - they won't without having reason to look at the claim - no one bar you and the claimant will have read it at this point.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi there,

No there was no mention of particulars to follow, in the section for the POCS it says

The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the county courts act 198r at the rate of 8 per cent a year from **** to **** of £3.41 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgement or earlier payment at a rate of £

Just to reiterate I wrote to the court manager asking for POCS or a possible strike out if not submitted within 14days (on advice of a solicitor ) but recieved no reply.

Yes I was thinking that about the DQ but in all honesty it's annoying that the claimant may get extra time to provide the poc's when they should have been provided to me right away.
      Is it worth me applying to strike out the entire claim based on the Particulars? I read that I would have to pay a fee and fill out a form and it could be unsuccessful..

The claimant has made a few mistakes on the mcol form, supplying no surname for myself and addressing the form to my place of work..it's all very clear to me it's a mischievous claim it's just convincing the court of that.

- - - Updated - - -

And no the claim is for £300

Comment

Okay cool. Sounds like you are right they have just bunged a claim in expecting you to have a panic and pay them so have put absolutely zero effort in.

To strike out an application is normally required, a letter sometimes brings it to the attention of the court manager but most often they reply and request a formal application. You can do an application now and submit along with the DQ but it is going to cost you the application fee, reclaimable against the other side if you get the claim struck out, but an upfront cost for you - I believe it would be £100 at the moment ( without a hearing ) - I can't see how it would get refused though as no particulars at all have been provided. It depends really how much you put in your defence so might need sight of that so we know exactly what your position is at the moment.

Alternatively you could try just using the DQ to request a strike out which as a LIP you might be okay with, but likely result is the court asking you to submit an application.

Actualy wondering if the claimant could have made a mistake in not submitting particulars if they used the moneyclaim online system.

Have you written to the claimant properly asking for the particulars ? and have they responded in any way ? ( by properly I mean that you could show to a Judge and seem reasonable etc )
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Unknown101 View Post
          I filed a defence based on what I think it could be about just to purely put in a defence, I have received the directions questionnaire and before I fill it in and return it I wanted to explore the possibility of applying to have the claim struck out?
          File your DQ before the deadline or your Defence is likely to be struck out.

The DQ is a form simply asking for information so the claim can be allocated to your local court and any dates when you are likely to be unavailable and whether you intend to bring any witnesses with you or need an interpreter etc.

The DQ is not an opportunity to have any 'legal' dialogue with the court.

Did you put in your Defence that you are unable to plead effectively since the Claimant hasn't pleaded their claim with any facts? That Defence will eventually been shown to a DJ who could make make an Order for the Claimant to particularise their claim.

However you've implied that you've filed a Defence based on guesswork on what the POC should contain so that may send out the signal that you know what this claim is about unless you drew the court's attention to the inadequate POC.

Without seeing what you've put in your Defence it's hard to comment.

A Summary Judgement application would ask the court to strike out the Claim as having no likely prospects of success.

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X