• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Jacket left in club - has been given away to charity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacket left in club - has been given away to charity

Hi

I was looking for advice on where my son stands in this situation :-
    He left his jacket in the cloakroom of a club (Paying £1), he called the following morning and asked the Manager to have a look for it, the jacket was confirmed to be still there and he was told it would be kept for him. Being at University he couldn't get down straight away so phoned after 4 days to organise the pickup. He was then told the jacket could not be found and they didn't know what happened to it. After several phone calls, most of which were not returned the Area Manager got in touch telling him his jacket had been given away to charity as this was their policy, even though he had been in touch and identified the jacket. She then stated they were in no way liable for jackets which were left behind even though as I though paying for the service meant under contract had a duty of care to look after it if the owner claimed it. He wrote a letter explaining all the details, timeline of the phone calls and even quoted The Unfair Contract Act 1977. I have attached the letter the Area Manager sent him wiping her hands of the whole affair as if she couldn't care less, any advise on where we should take this would be appreciated, not sure if the small claims court is the next way to go. ( The jacket was worth £160).

Best Regards

Scott
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

Re: Jacket left in club - has been given away to charity

Hi and welcome

Your next step would appear to be a "letter before claim", followed if response is unsatisfactory or non existent by court action.
    Here's a link to a similar thread from a year ago, but your case is much stronger in that the bailee gave your property away having been told you would be returning for it!
    http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...++left+in+club

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your reply, the letter we sent stated in bold letters it was a "letter before claim", she seems to disregard all liability or reference to Consumer laws which we have stated, it doesn't seem to register that they had a duty of care to look after the jacket until returned to the owner, she keeps quoting their reasonable time is 2 weeks but in other threads I've read most quote 3 months as being a reasonable timescale.

Scott

Comment

If you initiate court action the legislation to rely on is Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977
        http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...ollected-goods

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X