• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

eBay Scam, £2000 lost, Help Needed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay Scam, £2000 lost, Help Needed.

Hello All (think I posted this on the wrong board earlier)

So I can't quite believe I have fallen foul of an eBay scam, I am usually shrewd and so very careful!

On 14th Feb I saw an auction for a job lot of Sonos speakers, and one of the photos had an email address for further information and a buy-it-now price. I emailed and was offered a price of £2000. I slept on it and the next day 15th Feb I agreed to buy. I was sent an authentic looking email which I thought was from eBay stating I had won the auction/buy-it-now, then a further email asking for payment through a wire transfer. I became suspicious at this point, but a pop up 'help' box appeared so I asked if I would be covered as I would be by PayPal payment and a very detailed response came back stating I would be. Everything looked as if it was from eBay so I (clearly foolishly) did a bank transfer. Shortly after I received another authentic looking email saying payment had been received. All the time the seller/fraudster was answering emails as if everything was above board. A few hours later the seller emailed to say he would be posting the next day and would send me details once done.

When I finished work I looked at my eBay account on my computer (I had been on my mobile previously) and could not see any details of the transaction, and immediately realised I had been duped. I could see that the emails I had received were not from eBay but from here: invoice@itemdll.online . I immediately contacted eBay who were less than helphul. They stated that they became aware he was of concern on 14th Feb and suspended his account on 15th Feb, they also said that apparently he has previous form. I argued that if his account had been suspended immediately on 14th then I would not have been scammed on 15th. I contacted my local police who told me to contact Action Fraud, which I did and I have filed all the details with them.

I contacted the seller asking if/why he had scammed me and he assured me everything was OK and I would be receiving the goods. I got pretty upset with him and asked (and pleaded) that he return my money and he stated he will do so after work today 16th Feb, but clearly I will not be holding my breath!

I am so angry and upset, mainly with myself for being so utterly stupid. I pride myself on being careful and astute and often wonder how people get caught up in scams that are so obvious. Well now I know!

Any help or advice would be so gratefully received, thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X