• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Pip: Atos Home assessment (No diagnosis, have I been naive?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pip: Atos Home assessment (No diagnosis, have I been naive?)

Hi everybody,

I am in the process of applying for Pip.

I have my home assessment with Atos next week (February 23rd)

I have not been officially diagnosed with anything. Although I know what conditions I have (I know because I have lived with them for many many years and they affect my life on a daily basis)

I have Tourettes syndrome, TMJ, anxiety and agoraphobia.

To cut a long story short, I feel very dizzy and unbalanced as I move around, this triggered off severe agoraphobia in March 2015 and I had severe panic attacks in public, since them I am unable to get past the end of the road. (I have always has social anxiety, I haven't been to a supermarket since 2007 etc)

I have been told today (on another forum) that I am being unrealistic to expect to be awarded the Pip without a diagnosis. Have I been horrendously naive?

I did try to get a telephone consultation with my doctor last November (I explained my symptoms via email) but the secretary told me I would have to come into the surgery, I explained how severe my agoraphobia was but they stopped responding to me.

Any advice or info would be great.

Thank you everyone
    Tags: None

Re: Pip: Atos Home assessment (No diagnosis, have I been naive?)

Hi and welcome,
    It is how conditions affect daily living and nor the condition itself that determines PIP.
    You do really need a diagnosis, not for the sake of the PIP assessment but for yourself and therefore any treatment you can be given to help you. I understand about the brick wall you have hit re your GP, you really need to see someone though and your local Mental Health Team https://www.rethink.org/diagnosis-tr...-support/cmhts may be able to help you get a home visit from your GP, they will be much more understanding than the 'Gaffer' on the desk at your surgery.
    Did you ask for a home visit or was it just arranged that way?
    The questions you will be asked at the assessment will be like an extension of the questions you were asked on the PIP form, try and explain everything as at your worst point.
    This is a copy of the form and help filling in, https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be.../fill-in-form/ have a read and it may help with the answers you give at the assessment if you did not keep a copy of the original.
    Sorry I can't be more help but only you can answer the questions you will be asked. Do though stress how hard it is to try see your GP etc.
    Good Luck and if you can pop back and let us know how it went, it may just help others in the same place.
    Enaid x

Comment

Hi enaid, thank you :tinysmile_grin_t:

I know I really do need to get diagnosed and more importantly get help. First and foremost I would love to be rid of agoraphobia. Thank you for the links I will look at those in a minute.

I received a phone call from Atos on January 25th, it was a man who said I would need to come for an assessment. I explained about my Agoraphobia and he actually asked me "How do you know you have agoraphobia?" ...........I asked him if a home visit would be possible and he said he would look into it and send me a letter. I received the letter last Friday confirming a home visit.

I was really surprised actually, because I have read so many peoples experiences online and so many struggle to get the home visit. I feel lucky that I didn't have to fight them for it.

I will update here after my assessment is done. I am going to spend the next few days writing everything down, so that it's clearer in my head.

Thank you :-)

Comment

All the best to you, yes a diary is a great idea as we often forget the little things that really matter, it also helps to get things in order.
        Enaid x

Comment

Thank you,

This morning I started a 1 week diary of how my conditions affects me on a day to day basis. I will give it to the assessor to take with them.

Also, I was going through my emails, back in April 2015 I emailed the charity Mind, and spoke about how agoraphobia was becoming a problem. I wonder if it's worth printing that off and giving it to the assessor? It's a way of proving what I said on the form?

Comment

Hi, the diary is a great idea and should help you talk about the day to day living and any problems you have.
            Maybe mention the fact you have been in touch with Mind for advice, but am unsure printing it off will help much as the assessor should have a good idea before you meet as to how it affects people and it what way.
            You should though not forget to mention how your GP as been unhelpful at the very least.

Comment

My assessment is in the morning, I can't see me getting much sleep tonight, I'm extremely nervous.

I just wanted to say I will update here when it's over.

Comment

How did it go?

Comment

Hi Enaid,

The Lady arrived at around 9:20 this morning (Technically yesterday morning now)

My anxiety was through the roof.

She was a very nice person and not at all how I imagined. She asked me how my conditions affected my daily life, so I explained (With a shaky voice) how they affect me. I feel she really listened and understood what I was saying to her. but I am now worried that my anxiety made me come across as rude :-(

I was ticing quite badly, especially ,my right hand, when she did the physical examination she asked me to touch my thumb with my fingers, and to grip her hands, with my left hand it was no problem, but my right hand was ticing so badly that I couldn't do it, it was actually very embarrassing, but she understood that I had no control over it.

I explained how long my issues have affected me and just how out of control my agoraphobia has become.

When she left she gave me advice to not give up trying to get a home visit with my GP or a mental health person, she said that she understood what a 'catch 22' situation I am in. She left at 10 am.

I am very tired (I've not slept yet) so my update isn't an in depth as it could be, but if anyone who is worrying about a face to face assessment has any questions, if I can help I will :-)

Comment

It's been 1 week since my assessment. I rang the DWP today to ask for any updates, but they haven't received the report from ATOS yet.

I have no idea how long that typically takes.

Comment

I can't answer that for you either it's a case of their case loads I am afraid and you just have to wait, hope you get to know soon x

Comment

Thank you :-)

I'll ring them again next Thursday to see if anythings changed.

Comment

Please see black triangle campaign

- - - Updated - - -

Make friends with a politician

- - - Updated - - -

Keep a diary of everything

Comment

Another update.

I rang DWP again today. I've been awarded standard rate mobility :-)

Comment

Are you ok with that?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X