• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PPI claims company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PPI claims company

RBS confirmed to me that I was right there is only 3 claims that have been settled in full, and that there is no 4th cheque/claim outstanding for £8400 that Harringtons are claiming, RBS gave me the 3 settled claim reference numbers to pass on to Harringtons so that Harringtons can ring RBS direct and have it confirmed that I only received 3 cheques totalling £9708.78

Comment

Yes I understand that but it was your question I didn't:

does me having to deal with RBS direct effect Harringtons claim for %
      You should tell Harringtons it is they and not you who should be responsible for proving that a 4th cheque was issued.

I'll get the draft complaint posted up by the morning so let me know if there are any further developments.

By the way Harringtons had their claims management authorisation cancelled by the regulator but it's been stayed because Harringtons are appealing it https://www.claimsregulation.gov.uk/details.aspx/29496

Comment

"does me having to deal with RBS direct effect Harringtons claim for %"

I was meaning they tell you at the outset not not correspond with your lender yourself so does the fact that I had to ring RBS effect this as it's actually them asking me to break their own rules ?

Comment

Originally posted by Billy blue View Post
          "does me having to deal with RBS direct effect Harringtons claim for %"

I was meaning they tell you at the outset not not correspond with your lender yourself so does the fact that I had to ring RBS effect this as it's actually them asking me to break their own rules ?
          Well if they told you to do it they can hardly complain.

Comment

Draft complaint.

Formal Complaint

Dear Sir
            I wish to make a formal complaint which I expect you to deal with in accordance with the CMR Complaints Handling Rules 2015. I note that contrary to provision 13(b) of the above rules, your internal complaints handling procedures are not available on your website.

Please note that should I not be fully satisfied with your final decision in respect of this complaint I fully intend to take my complaint to the Legal Ombudsman without further notice.

Background
            In July 2016 I was cold called by your company who quoted your services as costing ‘’30%’’ of the value of any compensation awarded. I signed a letter of authority and was eventually awarded a total of £9726.97 in compensation. I subsequently received an invoice from you for £4543.70 which represents 39% of the value of the compensation plus 20% VAT.

On 18 January I offered to settle for the amount of £1500 which you refused to accept in your letter of 20 January. On 23 January and again on 26 January I received ‘Payment Overdue’ demands from you for the much higher amount of £8451.24 which represents some 87% of the value of the compensation awarded.

Complaint – fees
            As indicated above, during the initial sales call from you I was clearly informed that your fees were ‘’30%’’ of the value of the claim and I was not informed that VAT was applicable and additional. Although I now accept that the small print in the letter of authority expresses the fee as 39% plus VAT, I was initially misled by you into believing that it was 30% and made my decision on that basis.

A cursory internet search appears to establish that your sales people understate your fee during the sales call:

‘’I had a call from harringtons advisory…They did say they had a fee, which I heard as 30%...but nearly fell over when I saw it. They wanted 39% +20% vat. Nearly half of what we got. I was never told about the vat’’
            http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...9&postcount=42

‘’Harrington Advisary Do Not Use This Company here's what they did to me:- Apart from Pester you for there money..near 50% with VAT added...to the 30% I'd thought.’’
            http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...90&postcount=2

‘’I have been dealing with these people since August - when I was informed verbally on the phone that they charge 25% plus VAT. Then couple of months ago, again I tried to clarify as I wasn't sure, and was informed that charges were 35% inclusive of VAT. Now after couple of successes I have started to get invoice stating the charges are 39% plus VAT.
            I have had 2 arguments with them re these excessive charges and was informed I signed to these. Apparently, all telephone conversations are recorded so I requested transcripts of these and have been told they cant send me these. They are happy to send me the copy of my contract where I allegedly signed up for 39%plus VAT but cannot recall these numbers.’’
            http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...1&postcount=73

In consideration of the above misrepresentation of your fees to me I wrote to you on 18 January offering and enclosing payment of £1500 in settlement of the invoice of 21 December for £4543.70 which you refused and returned on 20 January. To my astonishment on 23 and 26 January you sent ‘Payment Overdue’ demands for the amount of £8451.24 and without providing any explanation or reason as to why the amount due has virtually doubled in the space of a month.

On 30 January I received another ‘Payment Overdue’ demand for £8451.24 this time threatening a visit to my property from a ‘’doorstep agent’’.
            On 3 February during a telephone call you attempted to justify your demands for the increased amount of £8451.24 by wrongly claiming that I had received far more in compensation than I actually have.

To be clear I received 3 separate compensation payments from RBS for the amounts of £8399.72, £411.83 and £915.42 respectively, totaling £9726.97. However you are now claiming that I received or am due to receive a 4th payment of a further £8400 and for which you have not provided any evidence of whatsoever. In fact you demanded that I should contact RBS myself and enquire where the 4th cheque was and why it isn't paid. On doing so RBS confirmed that no 4th payment was made or due.

Complaint – harassment
            Since receiving your invoice of 21 December I have been subjected to sustained and unwarranted telephone harassment from you averaging 3 to 4 calls daily. In your ‘Payment Overdue’ demands of 23, 26 & 30 January you state that ‘’we have tried to contact you by email, phone, text message, post and have had no response’’. This is despite the fact that I contacted you on 18 January which you acknowledged in your letter of 20 January.

By any measure it is unacceptable that I should be subjected to this level of harassment which is upsetting and distressing.

Settlement
            On 1 February the Claims Management Regulator cancelled Harringtons Advisory Ltd’s authorisation due to numerous conduct breaches of the Conduct of Authorised Persons Rules 2014, the Complaint Handling Rules 2015 and the Compensation (Claims Management Services) Regulations 2006, although the cancellation has been stayed pending appeal. I understand that you had been under formal investigation by the regulator since March 2016. Had I known this when you first cold called me in July I would never have engaged your services.

Taking into account the misrepresentation of your fees, the demands and threats for thousands of pounds in commission for compensation not received or due and the harassment I have endured I am prepared to offer £1500 in settlement.

Should you not uphold my complaint within 8 weeks I repeat that I fully intend to take my complaint to the Legal Ombudsman.
            Last edited by EXC; 4th February 2017, 16:50:PM.

Comment

Thank you for your help I will get it printed and posted of tomorrow

Comment

Ok, obviously check it for accuracy and make any additions/changes you want.

Comment

Posted my letter of complaint sent 1st class signed for, So quick update: today I received a further two letters from Harringtons both dated 2nd February one is another final demand for outstanding payment, the other to inform me they where passing my claim on to debt recovery, this despite the fact that I spoke to them last week on the phone telling them that I disputed their figures, their operator agreed there was discrepancies in the figures and said someone from complaints would ring to resolve this .

Comment

Originally posted by Billy blue View Post
                    Posted my letter of complaint sent 1st class signed for, So quick update: today I received a further two letters from Harringtons both dated 2nd February one is another final demand for outstanding payment, the other to inform me they where passing my claim on to debt recovery, this despite the fact that I spoke to them last week on the phone telling them that I disputed their figures, their operator agreed there was discrepancies in the figures and said someone from complaints would ring to resolve this .
                    Don't be too surprised if you keep getting demands despite your complaint. If you do keep sending them to me as it's all grist for the mill with respect to your complaint.

Comment

Hi Billy

Under the complaint handling rules they are meant to acknowledge receipt of your complaint within 5 days of receiving it. So I suggest we give it another couple of days and send them an e-mail reminding them of their obligations.

Comment

Thank you for that info as the only correspondence I received is threats of debt management on a ratio of one letter issued every three days that I forwarded to you

- - - Updated - - -

Ps I sent the complaint 1st class signed for to ensure they received it

Comment

I would e-mail them asking them to confirm receipt of your complaint.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                            Hiya

A couple of initial questions:

Who is the CMC?

Do you have the contract that you signed?
                            CMC = Claim Management Company
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by legitclaims View Post
                              CMC = Claim Management Company
                              Who = what or which person or people.

Comment

Received confirmation of my complaint this morning, I will keep you informed of any further developments

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X