• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Equality Act - HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equality Act - HELP!

Hi

So i come under the equality act as i suffer from bipolar disorder - after an informal chat with my managers they decided it would be a good idea to take some holiday as ive changed medication and realised i wasnt myself. In doing so, i have heard a few things that have been said around the workplace in reference to 'getting her head sorted, cant have a supervisor with a head messed up' staff were to be told i was off on holiday and getting wind of this has made me very upset, especially when im due back into work on wednesday. What is the best thing to do and where can i go with this information?

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Equality Act - HELP!

Originally posted by smadge87 View Post
    Hi

So i come under the equality act as i suffer from bipolar disorder - after an informal chat with my managers they decided it would be a good idea to take some holiday as ive changed medication and realised i wasnt myself. In doing so, i have heard a few things that have been said around the workplace in reference to 'getting her head sorted, cant have a supervisor with a head messed up' staff were to be told i was off on holiday and getting wind of this has made me very upset, especially when im due back into work on wednesday. What is the best thing to do and where can i go with this information?

Thanks
    The Equality Act provides far less protection than most people think it does. This is a case in point. There is nowhere to go with this information.

If you wish, you may submit a grievance to your employer, but I doubt it will make you feel any better. For a start off, if you do, you must prove the allegation. Whoever told you is unlikely to recall ever having heard it when faced with having to say this in a grievance statement. And, to be fair, you have no evidence that the managers said any such thing. S**t stirring also being a popular activity in workplaces! If you were acting "unlike yourself", as you say you were, people are very likely to have noticed, and this comment can just as easily be attributed to "smadge really needed a holiday because she was definitely a bit off and needed to get their head together". In other words, this is common language and doesn't infer than people know you are bi-polar, or have given mental health a second thought when saying this.

Personally I think the best thing to do is to rise above it. There is no evidence of any ill-intent, and probably no evidence that it ever happened anyway. By putting in a grievance, all you will do is make your mental health issues a focus of attention. I'm afraid that there are very few secrets in workplaces. There perhaps should be, but there aren't. You are in employment. You have become a supervisor. So you have overcome more than many people with bi-polar can. You should be proud of yourself, and hold your head up. Even if people know, there is nothing to be ashamed of. Until we have a society where the majority of people can openly talk about their mental health, there is always going to be some prejudice and speculation. There aren't many people that such issues haven't touched, if not personally, through a friend or relative. So you needed some time to get your meds right? I needed some time to get mine right - for a "broken ankle" (a bit more complicated than that, but the description does). There's no real difference. And people need to understand that.

Get back to work, and show you are made of sterner stuff than giving in to a bit of silly gossip. You know what you are worth, and frankly your managers must too - otherwise you wouldn't be in the position you are in. Once you are there and back at work, you'll have more to think about than whether people know. And that is a good thing for you. People can be insensitive. We all are at some point, without meaning to be. But you'll be fine, and everyone will move on to the next topic of conversation!

Good luck

Comment

Re: Equality Act - HELP!

Hi

Thank you for your reply and kind words. I guess you are right, it is just frustrating when i was feeling a little better to be told that. I will just smile and ride it out and i will be yesterdays news in no time.

Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X