• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax - Refusal to Accept Arrears?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax - Refusal to Accept Arrears?

Hello all

This is my first post to the forum, I do hope I'm posting in the correct section! Apologies if not.

Okay. I'm enquiring on behalf of my partner who has been summoned to court for non-payment of council tax. The court date is 14th July 2008. The reason for the arrears is quite straight forward - lack of funds. My partner is in full time employment, is a single parent of 2 children 1 of whom lives at home with her and attends school.

When my partner received the summons she was scarred. She rang the council to pay the arrears in full, there and then. The council refused to accept payment insisting she attend court with the addition of £50 costs for the honour!

She has never been in trouble with council tax previously.

She is so scarred and doesn't know what to do. Why do the council refuse to accept payment of the arrears in full thereby incurring her additional cost she could most certainly do without. It seems so unfair.

Anny advice would be very gratefully received.

John
    'Ariel makes your whites Browner'

Re: Council Tax - Refusal to Accept Arrears?

Which council is this please and precisely what was she told about attending court?

Comment

Hiya Datasafe,

Firstly tell her not to panic. The court date may have been set but I'm sure you'll find that its also the same date for a few hundred other people as well. Tell her to call the council to confirm that is the case hun, if it is so then she need not attend, all that will happen is a big pile of papers will go in front of the judge and he/she will rubber stamp them (its called a Notification of Liability Order) and they will go off to a typing pool for processing.

It will say something like 'To avoid further action being taken, you should make payment in full within 14 days. Unless you have previously made an arrangement on receipt of the summons'.

When your partner receives the paperwork back she can then call the council with an offer to pay.

Simple as that really, no need to panic.

Comment

Hello datasafe and welcome to Legal Beagles.
        Please have a look round and if you need any help with anything give a shout, someone will soon be along to help you.
        If you have an ongoing claim, or a problem you need answers to, then you can start a thread in the appropriate forum. Once again if you need help doing this just ask.
        When you have settled in, if you feel like a chat we have the Legal Beagle Chatroom, or there is The Lamp Post for off topic threads. Hope to speak soon Enaid x

Comment

Originally posted by Cetelco View Post
          Which council is this please and precisely what was she told about attending court?
          Thanks very much for your replies.

Firstly to answer the question, the council is Bridgend County Borough Council.

I've attached a scan of the summons with personal details deleted.

Firstly she went online (internet) to setup a DDM, this was refused as she's in arrears.

Apparently in her conversation with the council she offered to pay the arrears in full but this was also declined and she was told she'd either have to pay the full amount of summons, including the additional £53.00 to stop court action,

or;

She needn't attend at court BUT another £50 in addition to the £53 would be added. This means her annual council tax will increase by £103 which she can least afford despite her offer to pay the arrears in full.

Cheers

John
          Last edited by Amethyst; 3rd July 2008, 16:22:PM.

Comment

mmmm once you 'default' on council tax you lose the right to pay by installments and the whole amount becomes due - regardless of whether you pay the arrears.

As Sapphy said it is a process you have to go through now. It really is nothing to be scared of - just a rubber stamping excersise.

Is she making the monthly installment payments now ?
            If she can pay the arrears they should let her, but it won't stop the court action for the liability order.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Damn! I'm trying to remove the attachment as I didn't notice the address was enter twice!

How can I modify the post?
              Cheers

John

Comment

Hi Datasafe,

I have reported the post and someone will remove it for you.
                Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum:11:

Comment

yep thanks SL xx all done
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks so much.

John

Comment

Thanks Ame

Don't worry Datasafe I have done that too
                      Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum:11:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X