• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Gave employer the wrong account details - unpaid for this month

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gave employer the wrong account details - unpaid for this month

(My other thread in Money and debt was deleted, and wasn't moved here, so I guess here goes again.)

Hi,

I started work at a new company, and provided them with the wrong account details (ie: I mistyped my account number). As such, my monthly salary has been credited to someone else's account (my fault, not HR's)

HR in fairness have been quite helpful and they have contacted the "other bank" ie: my own bank and own branch, even if that branch is one I signed up for online (I know it's my bank as I messed up the account number and not the sort code)

They have said that in a worst case scenario (ie: the person who it's credited to disputes the transaction), they can give me money and then I can pay them back in installments or I wait it out, and see what happens.

I'm wondering, let's consider a worst case scenario, say the unintended recipient disputes this, and doesn't return it, what can I legally do? I know that I have around 20 days or so, before it's returned to me, should the recipient not dispute the error. I've read online that you can go down the small claims route, but how would this even work when my employer sent the cash from their bank account, not myself?

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Gave employer the wrong account details - unpaid for this month

Originally posted by anonuser View Post
    (My other thread in Money and debt was deleted, and wasn't moved here, so I guess here goes again.)

Hi,

I started work at a new company, and provided them with the wrong account details (ie: I mistyped my account number). As such, my monthly salary has been credited to someone else's account (my fault, not HR's)

HR in fairness have been quite helpful and they have contacted the "other bank" ie: my own bank and own branch, even if that branch is one I signed up for online (I know it's my bank as I messed up the account number and not the sort code)

They have said that in a worst case scenario (ie: the person who it's credited to disputes the transaction), they can give me money and then I can pay them back in installments or I wait it out, and see what happens.

I'm wondering, let's consider a worst case scenario, say the unintended recipient disputes this, and doesn't return it, what can I legally do? I know that I have around 20 days or so, before it's returned to me, should the recipient not dispute the error. I've read online that you can go down the small claims route, but how would this even work when my employer sent the cash from their bank account, not myself?

Thanks in advance.
    Sorry - this also isn't an employment question! Someone might see the question who is able to answer it, or not. And I'm not sure, other than "banking", what kind of question it is.

From an employment point of view, your employer has paid you, and has paid you according to your instructions. Even helping you out financially is voluntary on their part. For all they know, it's a scam and this other person is your best mate, and you are both in on it. I realise that isn't true, by the way - but the point is that it could be. So I don't know what they could do, or what powers they have to do anything, since they have "done as you asked".

Comment

IMO you would be able to initiate a court claim, because the money, on payment of your salary, is rightfully yours.
      It is your loss, not the employer's,
      Your problem will be identifying the recipient!

If this error was spotted quickly enough, the recipient bank (which happens to be yours) should have frozen your salary in the recipients account to top it being withdrawn.
      Hopefully it will be sorted sooner rather than later.
      Last edited by des8; 28th January 2017, 08:35:AM. Reason: addtl info

Comment

I'm not sure you would be able to bring a court claim without the recipients name and address, I presume you don't have these and the bank won't supply them to you under the data protection act.

Your works payroll can try to 'put a stop' on the payment but in the age of internet banking most transactions are almost instant and this is likely to fail.

This happened to me a few years ago but I was the payee, thankfully in my case the account details given were for a closed account so the funds 'bounced back' after a few days.

Comment

The recipients identity could be obtained via a Norwich Pharmacal Order, but in practice the possible cost will rule it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Sangie595 View Post
            Sorry - this also isn't an employment question! Someone might see the question who is able to answer it, or not. And I'm not sure, other than "banking", what kind of question it is.

From an employment point of view, your employer has paid you, and has paid you according to your instructions. Even helping you out financially is voluntary on their part. For all they know, it's a scam and this other person is your best mate, and you are both in on it. I realise that isn't true, by the way - but the point is that it could be. So I don't know what they could do, or what powers they have to do anything, since they have "done as you asked".
            I figured it wasn't, but as it was deleted from Money and debt, I thought this was the next best place for it. Why it was deleted from there, I don't know. I understand where you're coming from tbh ie: that it could be a possible scam

Originally posted by des8 View Post
            IMO you would be able to initiate a court claim, because the money, on payment of your salary, is rightfully yours.
            It is your loss, not the employer's,
            Your problem will be identifying the recipient!

If this error was spotted quickly enough, the recipient bank (which happens to be yours) should have frozen your salary in the recipients account to top it being withdrawn.
            Hopefully it will be sorted sooner rather than later.
            Well, the payment date was 27/01/2017 (Normally 28) and I spotted it on the same day (albeit around 4pm)

Originally posted by User58 View Post
            I'm not sure you would be able to bring a court claim without the recipients name and address, I presume you don't have these and the bank won't supply them to you under the data protection act.

Your works payroll can try to 'put a stop' on the payment but in the age of internet banking most transactions are almost instant and this is likely to fail.

This happened to me a few years ago but I was the payee, thankfully in my case the account details given were for a closed account so the funds 'bounced back' after a few days.
            Hmm no, I wouldn't have this information. I guess I could at the very least go to the police, if so? Would the police be able to help me recover the month's salary, if needed?

Originally posted by des8 View Post
            The recipients identity could be obtained via a Norwich Pharmacal Order, but in practice the possible cost will rule it out.
            I'd be willing to try this, but I don't know what the cost would be. If it means any thing, my salary for this month is just under 2K

Comment

Originally posted by anonuser View Post

I'd be willing to try this, but I don't know what the cost would be. If it means any thing, my salary for this month is just under 2K
              I doubt you would want to try it as it is a fairly complex matter and all the costs are paid by the person seeking the order.
              The costs can be hundreds, and if disputed, thousands of pounds.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X