• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot Financial(Mortimer Clarke) - Sky UK Ltd Verbal Agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot Financial(Mortimer Clarke) - Sky UK Ltd Verbal Agreement

Issue Date: 24/01/17
    Amount approx: £500
    Claimant: Cabot
    Solicitor: Mortimer Clarke
    Original Creditor: Sky U.K. Ltd
    Particulars of Claim:
    By a verbal agreement between Sky U.K. Ltd and the defendant commencing on or around 5/8/11 ('the Agreement') Sky uk ltd agreed to provide the defendant with subscription services. The defendant failed to make the required payments due &a the agreement was terminated. The agreement was assigned to the claimant.
    Is the debt Statute Barred? No
    List any letters you have sent: N/A
    Any Other Info:

Hey guys, need some help when I send off for CCA CPR what am I requesting seeing as they have stated clearly verbal agreement? Not sure how to fight this but I want to.
    Tags: None

Re: Cabot Financial(Mortimer Clarke) - Sky UK Ltd Verbal Agreement

Originally posted by Jelllybaby View Post
    Issue Date: 24/01/17
    Amount approx: £500
    Claimant: Cabot
    Solicitor: Mortimer Clarke
    Original Creditor: Sky U.K. Ltd
    Particulars of Claim:
    By a verbal agreement between Sky U.K. Ltd and the defendant commencing on or around 5/8/11 ('the Agreement') Sky uk ltd agreed to provide the defendant with subscription services. The defendant failed to make the required payments due &a the agreement was terminated. The agreement was assigned to the claimant.
    Is the debt Statute Barred? No
    List any letters you have sent: N/A
    Any Other Info:

Hey guys, need some help when I send off for CCA CPR what am I requesting seeing as they have stated clearly verbal agreement? Not sure how to fight this but I want to.
    Hi,

A Sky account is a service contract not a CCA '74 regulated agreement.

It also appears that there is an alleged "verbal contract" how did this arise please?
    An assignment of a verbal contract is not a common situation.

Let's see if others have thoughts.
    @Amethyst @Celestine any ideas please? [MENTION=551]pt2537[/MENTION]

nem

Comment

Ok thanks no CCA request then.

Sky were instructed by a relative (third party - bill payer) to set up but I believe it was cancelled or at least even first payment never made so no contract held between Sky and the defendant (account holder). Sketchy details due to not being my debt and time passed.

Couldn't find a similar situation in forum, any advice much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Jelllybaby View Post
        Ok thanks no CCA request then.

Sky were instructed by a relative (third party - bill payer) to set up but I believe it was cancelled or at least even first payment never made so no contract held between Sky and the defendant (account holder). Sketchy details due to not being my debt and time passed.

Couldn't find a similar situation in forum, any advice much appreciated.
        I've asked some others to take a look I'm sure they will be along as soon as they can.

nem

Comment

Bump

Comment

Sketchy details due to not being my debt and time passed.
            Have you informed the 3rd party of the court claim?
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Yes it's my partner. He has asked me to help I've dealt with a previous court claim from his past.

Comment

Your partner ought to acknowledge the court claim asap (details in the claim pack) to prevent a potential default judgement.
                CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Done, ready to send off CPR but what are we requesting as they say it was a verbal agreement, a verbal agreement between claimant and defendant did not take place. So how do I word the CPR?

Comment

If it were me I'd ask for proof of the verbal agreement & the Notice of Assignment.
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

Comment

I've heard nothing back I received the court claim on 24th Jan so there's still time shall I send off CPR again ? Or keep waiting?

Comment

What were the subscription services that Sky were supposed to have provided?

Was this verbal agreement by contacting Sky and ordering over the telephone or some other way? You have said it was cancelled before and/or no payment was ever made, can you explain in more detail?

Has your partner contacted Sky to find out any details of this alleged claim? They should be able to provide you information on whether the account was set up, when the services were activated and when the payments were missed. Sky would normally send you several letters before your account was suspended and then several further letters before the services are disconnected.
                        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

His Nan set it up over the phone for him and when she defaulted on first payment they eventually started chasing my partner as it was for his address. The services (tv package) were cut off after 30 days due to non payment.

No no he hasn't contacted sky I don't have the paperwork from them either this is from 6 years ago now.

I've acknowledged and stated that we will be defending the claim - it's obvious they have no proof being a verbal agreement. Why would I contact sky now when it's Cabot that are taking him to court?

Comment

So he allowed his nan to set up the account in his name and she was to be the bill payer, which then as she failed to pay the bill (not cancel it), Sky suspended and then eventually terminated the account to the sum of the 12 months of the contract.

You don't need the paperwork to hand, Sky's system (which I think may be updated now) used to hold details of accounts that were set up for years. This is because the system they used to manage customer accounts would only flush out prospective and customer accounts in waves every so often so there could be a chance that the account that was set up is still on the system.

The reason why I suggested contact Sky is for information gathering, civil claims are based on a balance of probabilities and if there's no evidence, the court may decide on a matter that it was more likely than not that your partner entered into a contract with Sky.

They can easily prove that by getting information and details from Sky about the date when the account was set up, when the information pack was sent out (usually a day or two later after placing the order). If they can prove that in court, then your suggestion that there is no proof of an agreement is thrown out the window.

If however, your intention is to defend, on what basis is the defence going to be?
                            If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi jelllybaby

Cabot probably have very little info on this.
                              Debt purchasers normally only have a name/address, original creditor & account number, & the amount which the OC is allegedly owed.
                              Sky will likely have much more info on file, & the best way to obtain it is to SAR them.
                              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X