• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help! Unsure what to do or expect!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Unsure what to do or expect!

Hello,

Please can someone give me some advice.

My husband has long term mental health issues caused by playing professional contact sport. He claimed ESA when he was no longer able to work anymore. In 2015 he was getting better and asked the helpline if he could try a return to work to see how it went. He was told he could work for 12 weeks before he would compromise his benefits. So he took a job - quite a well paid one but only for about 8 weeks I think before he knew he couldnt cope.

About a week into this job, I had a severe car accident. My back was broken, head injury, leg gave way all the time etc etc. He had a week off and left the job after 8 weeks or so I think as I couldn't cope on my own with 2 children, the school holidays were looming and he was starting to have a breakdown with the complete chaos of it all.

When our Tax Credits were reviewed at the end of the year all of our income was on the sheets - his job and mine before the accident plus my SSP. I have some brain damage from the accident and PTSD which means my brain has blocked that time from view - unhelpfully, that means I dont know what happened or didnt happen or was done or shouldnt have been done or just got lost in it all.

So we had letters this morning. They want to talk to him about his income whilst on ESA and me about our income. He now says he cant remember if he told them but surely if it was on the Tax Credits renewal he must have done.

I am beside myself with worry. I was the main bread winner until this accident. We have lost our home, my income and I am now unemployable as I cant stand up for very long and my brain is beyond slow at working things out and getting them done. I am very worried he hasnt done something or I havent done something and I will end up in Prison. We have no one to care for our children if that happens.

I am not someone who can get a medical certificate and sit about doing nothing regardless of my capabilities so I have been trying to build a business within my capabilities. I declare £480 a month to tax credits - although some months is less than that as I still have a week or so here or there where I cant manage anything at all - morphine, valium and pain make things impossible.

Can someone tell me what to do. I dont know if I am blowing things out of all proportion but the words "under caution" are making me physically vomit.

Thank you.
    Tags: None

Re: Help! Unsure what to do or expect!

Hi and welcome, please try not to stress over this, you seem to have many problems without having to deal with this also.
    You will not end up in prison, but you do need someone who can sit down with you and go through your finances and your benefits entitlement.
    I would call your local Welfare Rights and have a word with them see if they can help, thing is with tax credits it is a mine field but they should be able to see exactly what your entitlement was at the time the claims are being investigated.
    If the worst comes to the worst and you have been overpaid by chance then arrangements can be made to repay, but wait and see what Welfare Rights can help you with first.
    Please take care Enaid xx

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X