• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Christmas day injury - caused by faulty product or user error??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas day injury - caused by faulty product or user error??

Hi all,

I'm after some advice, please excuse my long long story... but...

On Christmas morning, I used a disposable foil baking tray to cook sausages. The tray contained approx. 35/40 small cocktail sausages. When I tried to take the tray out of the oven, it folded in the middle and hot oil was poured over my right arm, resulting in a 7x5 inch 2nd degree burn to my wrist.

The tray was placed directly onto the top shelf of the oven (the packaging states the trays are suitable for conventional ovens and BBQ’s) and removed using suitable heat protection.

As I moved the tray from the shelf towards the counter top (directly above the integrated oven), the middle of the tray bent, causing the hot fat to pour over the fold onto my skin.

The hot oil left me with a substantial 2nd degree burn (7x5 inches) to my wrist that has had to be treated approximately every 2/3days by either the minor injuries unit, the dressings clinic or nurses at my GP. I have one more appointment to go (hopefully!).

So my question is, is this a result of user error or should the shop/manufacturer be held accountable as the packaging contained no information regarding maximum weight or suitable contents or instructions to support on another baking tray (like others i have seen) etc (the picture on the wrapper is a turkey!!!!).

I have contact one solicitors (slater and gordon) but they've advised that they can't help me?

Thoughts/Suggestions welcome before another accident occurs!!!!

Tags: None

Re: Christmas day injury - caused by faulty product or user error??

Hi there,

Not an expert on this at all but I would suggest the goods (foil tray) were not fit for purpose. If you had put a 6kg turkey on it then I would say user error but in this case I think you would have a good claim. I think this would come under personal injury and you should be looking for compensation.

Might be worth giving consumer advice a call as they have proved helpful to me in the past. they can also get trading standards involved.

Make sure you have taken as many details as possible and also take photos of the injuries.

Hopefully someone else with better knowledge will come along and add to this soon - good luck

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X