• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Capital one credit card debt.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capital one credit card debt.

I have a debt with capital one. The account was opened in 2007 which like with other debts have been ignored when husband suffered a stroke and finances became very hard. I have not yet received court papers for it or for any of the other 2 credit cards I have with other two companies. All accounts were open the same year. I have read in the forum that for account opened previous to 2010 it is very unlikely creditors will be able to return a CCA. IS this correct? Also Is it a good time now to ask for this letters to debt collectors rather than wait to see if they issue court papers?

Many thanks for your constant help and support but above all I appreciate not being judge (have been quite uncomfortable in other forums in the past)
    Tags: None

Re: Capital one credit card debt.

Hello Nafta,

Have you checked the credit reference files for these accounts? Noddle & Clear Score are free online.

Do you know when payments ceased?

No one will judge you here!

nem

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nafta View Post
      I have a debt with capital one. The account was opened in 2007 which like with other debts have been ignored when husband suffered a stroke and finances became very hard. I have not yet received court papers for it or for any of the other 2 credit cards I have with other two companies. All accounts were open the same year. I have read in the forum that for account opened previous to 2010 it is very unlikely creditors will be able to return a CCA. IS this correct? Also Is it a good time now to ask for this letters to debt collectors rather than wait to see if they issue court papers?
      So you've got a Capital One credit card and two other debts.

Are they still with the original creditor or have they been sold to a debt purchaser? It may be a DCA chasing you but who actually owns the debt is important.

When did you last pay anything towards these three debts? If all is quiet at the moment it may be best to let sleeping dogs die if you're creeping slowly towards Statute Barred status.

Otherwise it may may make sense to send a s.77-79 CCA Request to each of them which protects your legal position until they can comply with it.

There's no way of predicting whether a creditor will be able to source the credit agreement. Some from the 1990s turn up and some can't provide ones from last year. It depends on their internal work practices. One creditor lost the whole lot in the Iron Mountain Fire (a data storage unit) in 2006

Post up the basic details of each of these three accounts and take it from there.

Di

Comment

[MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION] I was able to keep minimum payments to August 2016. Nothing since then.

Comment

I was able to keep minimum payments to August 2016. Nothing since then.
          That probably answers the question in my previous post. These will still be with the original creditors and a long way off being SB.

You say the Capital One account was opened in 2007. Was that before or after April 2007?

Di

Comment

[MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION]
            Capital one I think still is with capital one as I cannot see any papers fro DCA. Opened 2007 last payment made August 2016
            Vanquish is I believe also still with them as again no reference to any DCA letter or on Credit files. Opened 2007 last payment made May 2015.

Aqua was opened in 2013 and last payment was made August 2016. This one shows as £0 in credit file from 30/12/2016. However I have a letter dated 14/01/17 from Moorcroft Debt Recover but also a letter dated 15/01/17 from aqua asking for minimum payment due in February. Not sure who owns it now.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
            That probably answers the question in my previous post. These will still be with the original creditors and a long way off being SB.

You say the Capital One account was opened in 2007. Was that before or after April 2007?

Di
            Both Capital one and vanquish were opened July 2007

Comment

Just trying to have things a bit clearer. It is better to wait for debts to have been sold before asking for CCA? and once I know that the debt belongs to a debt collections agency, i request a CCA and if they cannot produce it they cannot take me to court? or do i wait for court papers and then defend and ask for CCA?

Sorry, As I said just trying to understand the process so I am ready.

Comment

[MENTION=61310]diana[/MENTION]M [MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION] any suggestion on previous post?
                Also today I have received a letter from capital one saying they have instructed Fredrickson International Ltd to act on their behalf to arrange repayment of the account. Does this mean they have or they have not sold it to them?

Comment

only collecting - usually 1st stage towards selling to a debt buyer as last resort

Comment

[MENTION=3599]MIKE770[/MENTION] thank you for that.
                    With regards to asking for CCAs , is it better to wait for debts to be sold? and is it better to ask for them before receiving court papers?

Comment

They can issue regardless and do on a lot of occasions your choice

Comment

I have received a letter from capital one saying they have instructed Fredrickson International Ltd to act on their behalf to arrange repayment of the account. Does this mean they have or they have not sold it to them?
                        If the letter says they've instructed Fredrickson to act on their behalf then this implies Capital One still own the debt.

If it had been sold you should be sent a Notice of Assignment - typically a "Goodbye" letter from the creditor (Capital One) and a "Hello" letter from whichever debt purchaser has bought it.

Di

Comment

With regards to asking for CCAs , is it better to wait for debts to be sold? and is it better to ask for them before receiving court papers?
                          I see no reason for you not to send the CCA Requests now.

You seem to assume that you will receive court papers. You may, but then again you may not.

Glass half full not half empty

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
                            I see no reason for you not to send the CCA Requests now.

You seem to assume that you will receive court papers. You may, but then again you may not.

Glass half full not half empty

Di

@ Diana M
                            So if I wait and see if they do or dont serve cour tpapers...if they do isnt it worse?

Comment

@ Diana M
                              So if I wait and see if they do or dont serve cour tpapers...if they do isnt it worse?
                              Isn't what worse?

My suggestion was you should send the CCA Requests now so you can assess your situation before you receive any court claims. If a debt looks enforceable then you may be able to come to some arrangement with the creditor to prevent a court claim being issued.

Di
                              Last edited by Diana M; 27th January 2017, 13:54:PM. Reason: typo

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X