• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax arrears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Council tax arrears

In respect of payments - you need to separate the arguments regarding any council tax benefit/support and council tax. A dispute over any council tax benefit/support does not prevent the local authority from taking or continuing any action whilst any other queries are being resolved.

As far as council tax collection is concerned it doesn't matter how the monies came about to be due - they're either due or they're not (i.e paid in full or otherwise discharged), there is no in-between. That being said , the local authority may be willing to allow some discretion in the matter if they are aware of the full background situation.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
      post 5
      Ta- I was just quickly scanning.

If he can qualify as Severely Mentally Impaired (SMI) then he could not be held jointly liable for any time he qualifies as SMI and the sister was resident. She would be liable with a 25% reduction for this. Possibly a further 25% reduction if she could qualify as a carer.

For any period where he could qualify as SMI and he was the sole occupier then a Class U exemption applies,

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Debt Camel View Post
        I too would like to more about these uncashed checks.

What is your sister's financial situation now and what has it been over the years she has been living with her brother?

FWIW, my instinct is that they (brother and sister) are liable for whatever the council tax would have been if the correct information had been given to the council over the years. Without knowing what your sister's fiannces have been, there is no way of saying if she would have been entitled to Council Tax Benefit - later repalced by Council Tax Support.

You can argue that they should be given a reasonable amount of time to pay this because your brother acted in good faith. (Having said this, if your sister was earning, why did it not occur to her that she should be paying council tax?)
        In fairness to our local authority, they have agreed to reduced payments in order to repay over time. My sister, who is earning and this was stated on the application, was paying a reduced rate. Again, as the application was filled in fully and frankly, we did not consider the amount to be incorrect. There would still be a small reduction, I believe, for future payments.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X