• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

The black horse VT process - advice needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The black horse VT process - advice needed

Hi all, my wife took out a Hire purchase on a ford Ka 3 years ago. We have paid over the 50% value as stated on the contract.

She wants to VT the contract. So far, this is what has happened:

We phoned black horse finance to say we would like to VT and they have sent out a VT pack (which I received today).
    My wife has completed and signed form A which confirms she would like to VT. We have sent this back to black horse today.

Yesterday, my wife sent them a separate letter confirming that she would like to VT with immediate effect.

I have contacted the auction site and we are dropping the car off on Monday.

Just a couple of questions:

- When can my wife cancel her monthly direct debit that she has been paying to black horse?

- we have got married since she took out the hire purchase, and she hasn't changed the name on her account. Will this be an issue? The letters addressed to her have all had her maiden name on. The V5 LOGBOOK that we leave with the car at auction however has got her married name.

- am i right in saying that I should take pictures of the car with a newspaper in in the day I drop it off at the auction site?

- lastly, I have a form that needs to be signed by the auction site when I drop the car off on Monday. I then need to return this to black horse.

The guy on the phone said that the car won't be checked there and then, it may take a few days before this happens. What if they try to come back against us saying it's not in reasonable condition? There is a small part of the back seat that is scuffed (and has been when she bought it) however we have no proof that it was like that when we bought it. Would they be likely to pick up on this and try to charge us?

Many thanks for taking time to read this

Mark
    Tags: None

Re: The black horse VT process - advice needed

At any time before the final payment by the debtor under a regulated hire-purchase or regulated conditional sale agreement falls due, the debtor shall be entitled to terminate the agreement by giving notice to any person entitled or authorised to receive the sums payable under the agreement.
    The above is what the law says when you give notice to VT with notice being defined as in writing. So as soon as you give notice then the termination would take effect immediately, taking into account any postage rules if sent by post.

I wouldn't worry about your wife recently being married

Always advisable to get pictures of the car both inside and out. The onus is on the finance company to prove that the damage took place whilst in your possession, but assume the worst in that they will try to recover it.

What does the form say about dropping the car off? and what was the contents of the form she signed intiially? These types of forms are generally worded in a way to agree liability for any damage recorded on inspection.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Re: The black horse VT process - advice needed

Thank you for your reply.

The form was just a general one asking what the car details (registration etc) are, current mileage, what auction site I am dropping it off at, and just confirming we would like to VT. Also asked if tyres and car in general is in good condition.

There didn't seem to be any text that was worded in a way to cover their backs.

Am i legally obliged to sign any further forms, after I have dropped the car off at the auction site? Or as soon as that's done can I call it 'case over'?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X