• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

** Won ** Set aside CCJ help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Set aside CCJ help!

Will post more info later when I'm home.

Comment

So the judge mostly didn't like that I was saying the claimant should have searched for my address given the length of time. She didn't agree that it wasn't properly served. I argued that but she didn't like it. She didn't even really like my defence against the claim, she didn't like anything much i said in regards to the old case. Or that i would argue about the whole contract thing etc but i suppose couldn't really say it wasn't legitimate. So she set it aside on the grounds i had a real prospect of successfully defending it. I just said to her that i wouldn't have gone to all the trouble and cost of trying to set it aside if i didn't think i could defend it. So glad she did though. Hard part over i hope.

See attached the original claim form. CEL are on there which is interesting though not surprising i suppose. Hopefully this should be quite easy to defend against as it's a fairly standard letter by the looks of it.
      Attached Files

Comment

Is there a time limit on applying to have a CCJ set aside?

or time limit to respond to a High court Notice of enforcement and get that set aside?

Comment

Originally posted by jameslsmith85 View Post
          So the judge mostly didn't like that I was saying the claimant should have searched for my address given the length of time. She didn't agree that it wasn't properly served. I argued that but she didn't like it. She didn't even really like my defence against the claim, she didn't like anything much i said in regards to the old case. Or that i would argue about the whole contract thing etc but i suppose couldn't really say it wasn't legitimate. So she set it aside on the grounds i had a real prospect of successfully defending it. I just said to her that i wouldn't have gone to all the trouble and cost of trying to set it aside if i didn't think i could defend it. So glad she did though. Hard part over i hope.

See attached the original claim form. CEL are on there which is interesting though not surprising i suppose. Hopefully this should be quite easy to defend against as it's a fairly standard letter by the looks of it.
          [MENTION=5354]mystery1[/MENTION] did you get a chance to take a look at the particulars of the claim I attached yet? What do you think my chances are of defending this? I also still have my old defence but i know that it's a bit out of date since Bevis... Do you think you might be able to cast an eye over it and let me know what i could change to make it work?

Thanks.

Comment

What is the deadline ?

M1

Comment

I had 28 days as of Friday gone. However I'm very keen to try and get everything posted off ASAP because as far as I can tell as soon as I get my defence in they'll look at it, plus I just want this over as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by jameslsmith85 View Post
                I had 28 days as of Friday gone. However I'm very keen to try and get everything posted off ASAP because as far as I can tell as soon as I get my defence in they'll look at it, plus I just want this over as soon as possible.
                slow down too much rush = mistakes

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                  slow down too much rush = mistakes

Tbh I think this should be fairly straight forward. I know the judge wont accept that the claim wasn't properly served so I have to ditch that argument at all. But to be fair now the ccj is set aside and I am just fighting the original claim I don't need that anyway. I'm hoping my old defence that worked once should be fine to use again with some tweaking (it's the same car park and the same parking company). See attached
                  Attached Files

Comment

mystery1 will be along soon

Comment

Hey [MENTION=5354]mystery1[/MENTION], did you get a chance to look at my old defence at all yet? Sorry to keep on I just really want to get this defence in sooner rather than later. I need this weight lifted

Comment

Hey guys. Any help on this would be great. I have under 2 weeks to get this defence sent out now and I'm seriously starting to panic. Thanks in advance.

Comment

I still intend to do this but have a trial this week and at least 2 defences and my own employment tribunal matter to sort before your deadline. If your PPP thread gets a result let me know that i am no longer needed

M1

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=5354]mystery1[/MENTION] I'll let you know. I'm just worrying is all. This has been hanging over me so long I don't want to let it slip away from me after everything.

Comment

Hey guys and @mystery1

How does this look? Some bits in bold I'm unsure about.

I removed the part about the amount persued exceeding £100

In the Isle of Wight County Court
                              Claim Number ****
                              Between:
                              Debt Enforcement & Action Limited v ******
                              Defence Statement

I am ******* the defendant in this matter and was the registered keeper of vehicle *****. I currently reside at ***.

I deny I am liable for the entirety of the claim issued on 20/11/2014 for each and every one of the following reasons:

1/ This case can be distinguished from ParkingEye v Beavis [2015] UKSC 67 (the Beavis case) which was dependent upon an undenied contract, formed by unusually prominent signage forming a clear offer and which turned on unique facts regarding the location and the interests of the landowner. Strict compliance with the BPA Code of Practice (CoP) was paramount and Mr Beavis was the driver who saw the signs and entered into a contract to pay £85 after exceeding a licence to park free. None of this applies in this material case.

2/ This Claimant has not complied with pre-court protocol:
                              (a)There was no compliant ‘Letter before County Court Claim’.
                              (b) This is a speculative serial litigant, issuing a large number of identical 'draft particulars'. The badly mail-merged documents contain very little information. The covering letter merely contains a supposed PCN number with no contravention nor photographs.
                              (c) The Claim form Particulars were extremely sparse and divulged no cause of action nor sufficient detail. The Defendant has no idea what the claim is about - why the charge arose, what the alleged contract was; nothing that could be considered a fair exchange of information.

3/ The Defendant was the Registered Keeper only and has not admitted to being the driver.
                              As this was an alleged incident prior to the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 there is no automatic transfer of debt to the keeper and the keeper is under no obligation to name who it may have been. Due to the excessive length of time in bringing this claim there is no certainty of who may have driven. It is unreasonable to expect someone to remember something from such a long time ago. Even the Police limit there own actions to a period of 14 days on a Notice of Intended Prosecution to avoid any potential miscarriage of justice.
                              The Claimant is put to strict proof of the true identity of the driver and cannot rely on Elliot v Loake as this was a criminal case where the police had actual irrefutable evidence that the driver was the keeper.

4/ Inadequate signs incapable of binding the driver - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case:
                              (a) Sporadic and illegible (charge not prominent nor large lettering) of site/entrance signage - breach of the POFA 2012 Schedule 4 and the BPA Code of Practice and no contract formed to pay any clearly stated sum.
                              (b) Non existent ANPR 'data use' signage - breach of ICO rules and the BPA Code of Practice.
                              (c) It is believed the signage was not lit and any terms were not transparent or legible; this is an unfair contract, not agreed by the driver and contrary to the Consumer Rights Act 2015 in requiring a huge inflated sum as 'compensation' from by an authorised party using the premises as intended.
                              (d) No promise was made by the driver that could constitute consideration because there was no offer known nor accepted. No consideration flowed from the Claimant.

5/ BPA CoP breaches - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case:
                              (a) the signs were not compliant in terms of the font size, lighting or positioning.
                              (b) there is/was no compliant landowner contract.

6/ No standing - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case:
                              It is believed Civil Enforcement do not hold a legitimate contract at this car park. As an agent, the Claimant has no legal right to bring such a claim in their name which should be in the name of the landowner.

7/ No legitimate interest - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case:

8/ The Beavis case confirmed the fact that, if it is a matter of trespass (not breach of any contract), a parking firm has no standing as a non-landowner to pursue even nominal damages.

9/ The charge is an unenforceable penalty based upon a lack of commercial justification. The Beavis case confirmed that the penalty rule is certainly engaged in any case of a private parking charge and was only disengaged due to the unique circumstances of that case, which do not resemble this claim.

10/ The claimant has added unrecoverable sums to the original parking charge.. I deny the Claimant is entitled to any interest whatsoever.

The Defendant denies any liability whatsoever to the Claimant in any matter and asks the Court to note that the Claimant has:
                              (a) failed to disclose any cause of action in the incorrectly filed Claim Form issued on 20/11/2014
                              (b) not got planning permission from the local council to use the ANPR machine or erect their signage in the car park.

The vague Particulars of Claim disclose no clear cause of action. The court is invited to strike out the claim of its own volition as having no merit and no reasonable prospects of success.

I believe the facts contained in this Defence Statement are true.

Signed
                              Date
                              Last edited by jameslsmith85; 28th April 2017, 07:45:AM.

Comment

Hey all,

So I posted my defence's off today so that they get to where they need to before Friday's cut off.

This is what I went with in the end. I'll let you all know if it's successful in the hope that it could be useful to others in the future. Thanks to all for the help.

In the Isle of Wight County Court
                                Claim Number *****
                                Between:
                                Debt Enforcement & Action Limited v *****
                                Defence Statement

I am **** (Previously **** at the time of the claim) the defendant in this matter and was the registered keeper of vehicle *****. I currently reside at *****

I deny I am liable for the entirety of the claim issued on 20/11/2014 for each and every one of the following reasons:

1/ This Claimant has not complied with pre-court protocol:
                                (a)There was no compliant ‘Letter before County Court Claim’.
                                (b) This is a speculative serial litigant, issuing a large number of identical 'draft particulars'. The badly mail-merged documents contain very little information. The covering letter merely contains a supposed PCN number with no contravention nor photographs.
                                (c) The Claim form Particulars were extremely sparse and divulged no cause of action nor sufficient detail. The Defendant has no idea what the claim is about - why the charge arose, what the alleged contract was; nothing that could be considered a fair exchange of information.

2/ The Defendant was the Registered Keeper only and has not admitted to being the driver.
                                As this was an alleged incident prior to the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 there is no automatic transfer of debt to the keeper and the keeper is under no obligation to name who it may have been. Due to the excessive length of time in bringing this claim there is no certainty of who may have driven. It is unreasonable to expect someone to remember an unremarkable journey from such a long time ago. Even the Police limit there own actions to a period of 14 days on a Notice of Intended Prosecution to avoid any potential miscarriage of justice.
                                The Claimant is put to strict proof of the true identity of the driver and cannot rely on Elliot v Loake as this was a criminal case where the police had actual irrefutable evidence that the driver was the keeper.

3/ This case can be distinguished from ParkingEye v Beavis [2015] UKSC 67 (the Beavis case) which was dependent upon an un-denied contract, formed by unusually prominent signage forming a clear offer and which turned on unique facts regarding the location and the interests of the landowner. Strict compliance with the BPA Code of Practice (CoP) was paramount and Mr Beavis was the driver who saw the signs and entered into a contract to pay £85 after exceeding a licence to park free. None of this applies in this material case.

4/ Inadequate signs incapable of binding the driver - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case:
                                (a) Sporadic and illegible (charge not prominent nor large lettering) of site/entrance signage - breach of the POFA 2012 Schedule 4 and the BPA Code of Practice and no contract formed to pay any clearly stated sum.
                                (b) Non existent ANPR 'data use' signage - breach of ICO rules and the BPA Code of Practice.
                                (c) It is believed the signage was not lit and any terms were not transparent or legible; this is an unfair contract, not agreed by the driver and contrary to the Consumer Rights Act 2015 in requiring a huge inflated sum as 'compensation' from by an authorised party using the premises as intended.
                                (d) No promise was made by the driver that could constitute consideration because there was no offer known nor accepted. No consideration flowed from the Claimant.
                                5/ BPA CoP breaches - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case:
                                (a) the signs were not compliant in terms of the font size, lighting or positioning.
                                (b) there is/was no compliant landowner contract.

6/ No standing - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case:
                                It is believed Civil Enforcement do not hold a legitimate contract at this car park. As an agent, the Claimant has no legal right to bring such a claim in their name which should be in the name of the landowner.

7/ No legitimate interest - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case:
                                It is well known that this Claimant files serial claims regarding sites where they have lost the contract, known as 'revenge claims' and the defendant submits that this is one such case. This is not a legitimate reason to pursue a charge out of proportion with any loss or damages the true landowner could pursue.

8/ The Beavis case confirmed the fact that, if it is a matter of trespass (not breach of any contract), a parking firm has no standing as a non-landowner to pursue even nominal damages.

9/ The charge is an unenforceable penalty based upon a lack of commercial justification. The Beavis case confirmed that the penalty rule is certainly engaged in any case of a private parking charge and was only disengaged due to the unique circumstances of that case, which do not resemble this claim.

10/ The claimant has added unrecoverable sums to the original parking charge. I deny the Claimant is entitled to any interest whatsoever.

The Defendant denies any liability whatsoever to the Claimant in any matter and asks the Court to note that the Claimant has:
                                (a) Failed to disclose any cause of action in the incorrectly filed Claim Form issued on 20/11/2014
                                (b) Failed to identify the driver of the vehicle on the date of the alleged incident.

The vague Particulars of Claim disclose no clear cause of action. The court is invited to strike out the claim of its own volition as having no merit and no reasonable prospects of success.

I believe the facts contained in this Defence Statement are true.

Signed

Date

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X