Thread: PRA group

• Display

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Default PRA group

Hi my partner keeps having phone calls regarding owing the above company £19000 from 1997.We cant find out what this loan? Was supposed to be for nor understand why its taken so long to come to light.They keep saying they will send him a letter but one never arrives.Its worrying me sick.Please help

Authorised Representative

Mentions
    767 Post(s)

Default Re: PRA group

This may sound like the obvious but tell your partner not to engage in any phone conversations with PRA. Tell them to fail security if anyone calls and then hang up.

They need to wait for any correspondence. They need a paper trail. PRA can be litigious.

If this is a £19k debt the creditor (in this case a debt purchaser not the original creditor) will have to jump through so many legal hoops that they'll get vertigo

If it's an account opened in 1997 the hoops will get hIgher and higher.

Di
    I am a Litigation Executive at Joanna Connolly Solicitors a firm which specializes in consumer credit.

This forumís site rules donít allow me to give advice by PM but if you need to contact me please email di@joannaconnollysolicitors.co.uk . Our initial advice is always free.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability. If you are unsure please seek formal legal guidance or contact your local citizens advice bureau at https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Thank you Di much appreciated

LB Team Member

Mentions
    290 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana M View Post
    This may sound like the obvious but tell your partner not to engage in any phone conversations with PRA. Tell them to fail security if anyone calls and then hang up.

They need to wait for any correspondence. They need a paper trail. PRA can be litigious.

If this is a £19k debt the creditor (in this case a debt purchaser not the original creditor) will have to jump through so many legal hoops that they'll get vertigo

If it's an account opened in 1997 the hoops will get hIgher and higher.

Di
    Agree with Di there. Id add one small point however just incase this gets litigious later, and that is, before you fail security ask them to write to you and to ensure that all correspondence is in writing moving forward.

They will probably say they cannot discuss the matter til you clear security but its important to have on record that you want them to write. They record their calls so its worth setting up the evidence in support of your case now.
    I work for QualitySolicitors Howlett Clarke in the Consumer Credit Department. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Mentions
    767 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jue22 View Post
    keeps having phone calls regarding owing the above company £19000 from 1997.We cant find out what this loan? Was supposed to be for nor understand why its taken so long to come to light.They keep saying they will send him a letter but one never arrives.
    Hopefully they will have recorded the calls where they (according to the OP) have repeatedly told him that they would send him a letter but have failed to do so.

Di
    I am a Litigation Executive at Joanna Connolly Solicitors a firm which specializes in consumer credit.

This forumís site rules donít allow me to give advice by PM but if you need to contact me please email di@joannaconnollysolicitors.co.uk . Our initial advice is always free.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability. If you are unsure please seek formal legal guidance or contact your local citizens advice bureau at https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk

LB Team Member

Mentions
    290 Post(s)

Hopefully they will have recorded the calls where they (according to the OP) have repeatedly told him that they would send him a letter but have failed to do so.

Di
    agreed, although Idem v Ryan, the Judge did comment you cant complain about a lack of written correspondence if you dont ask for it. Some Courts can be very "pro lender" as you know, so getting the evidence in place is important.
    I work for QualitySolicitors Howlett Clarke in the Consumer Credit Department. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for all your advice.We have told them on each phone call to please write to him.Is this correct or does he need to do it in writing? TIA

Mentions
    767 Post(s)

We have told them on each phone call to please write to him.Is this correct or does he need to do it in writing?
    I think you've probably done enough for now. You've repeatedly told them to write to you and they haven't.

How long has this been going on (when did the calls start)? And how many calls have there been?

Keep a diary of the times and dates of any calls from now on.

If they keep ringing just keep asking them to write to you

Di

Mentions
    767 Post(s)

my partner keeps having phone calls regarding owing the above company £19000 from 1997.We cant find out what this loan? Was supposed to be for nor understand why its taken so long to come to light.
    If this loan was so long ago that you can't even remember what it could be, is there a possibility it could be Statute Barred if you've not paid anything towards it or acknowledged it for six years or more?

Have you moved address since you last heard from anyone about this loan, and does PRA know your current address?

Maybe think about that before you write any letters to them which could compromise your position.

PRA gained a reputation for chasing SB debts which got them into hot water in the US.

Di

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Hi he lived at the address they have the debt tied to from 1998 so dont understand how he could of accrued a debt at that address in 1997.These calls started in November 2016 and they have promised to send a letter spelling everything out but no letters have arrived as yet.Each time they rang i told them to stop ringing and to send us the promised letter but they havent.Very frustrating to say the least.I have to say you are all amazing people on here Thank you so much.I guess we will have to wait for this letter.Its just very scary.

Mentions
    767 Post(s)

he lived at the address they have the debt tied to from 1998 so dont understand how he could of accrued a debt at that address in 1997.
    Are you saying (I think you are) that from what you can gather the PRA 'phone callers' are chasing (possibly harassing you) a debt which they say was a loan opened in 1997 at an address where your partner didn't live at until 1998 i.e. a year later?

Di

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Yes Diane that is correct.So i dont know why they are chasing my partner.Either PRA have their dates wrong.We still havent received any paper work either.How have they tied his name to this "loan" ? Ive never had to deal with companies before so ive no idea how they work

Mentions
    767 Post(s)

It sounds like a fishing expedition to me where they are trying to extract information from your partner over the phone to establish facts which they may not have.

Perhaps they haven't sent you any paperwork because they haven't got any paperwork

Has your partner cleared security (given them his date of birth etc) when they call? If so what information has he given them so far?

Do they call with 'number withheld' or can you see the number on your phone. If so it might be worth checking on the internet that the calls are coming from PRA and not a scam to get you to hand over money on the phone. Use this website: http://who-called.co.uk/

There really is no need for you to feel worried by this. Keep in touch and diary date any more calls you get.

Di

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

I will have to ask him tomorrow how much he has said to them already.Hes at work now and wont be home till 2am.Thank you again for your continued support

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry yes we can see the number on the phone