• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bank Holiday?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bank Holiday?

Is New Year's Day deemed to be a Bank Holiday?

This in particular reference to the CCA 1974, but also generally.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick
    Tags: None

Re: Bank Holiday?

Yes unless it falls on a saturday or sunday when the holiday is proclaimed on the following Monday

Bank holidays may be declared in two ways:

• by statute (Statutory holidays) - Holidays specifically listed in the Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971, Schedule 1.[6]
    • by Royal proclamation - This has been used for annual bank holidays created since 1971, and is also used to move a bank holiday in a given year,[7] and to create extra one-off bank holidays for special occasions.[8] (The Act does not provide for a bank holiday to be suppressed by royal proclamation without appointing another day in its place).[9]

1 January New Year's Day from 1974, by Royal Proclamation. Currently not proclaimed if 1 January falls on Saturday or Sunday.[1][2][3][4]
    2 January not named By Royal Proclamation, only in a year in which 1 January is Sunday.
    3 January not named By Royal Proclamation, only in a year in which 1 January is Saturday.
    17 March St. Patrick's Day Northern Ireland only (this was not an officially recognised public holiday in Northern Ireland until the peace process was signed and from thereon was recognised)
    variable Good Friday Traditional common law holiday[1][2][3][4]
    Easter Monday Statutory bank holiday, defined by name.[12]
    First Monday in May May Day Bank Holiday from 1978, by Royal Proclamation annually[1][2][3][4]
    Last Monday in May Spring Bank Holiday Statutory bank holiday from 1971,[12] following a trial period from 1965 to 1970. Replaced Whit Monday, which was formerly a public holiday whose date varied according to the date of Easter.[12][13][14] The legislation does not specify a name for the holiday, merely when it occurs.
    12 July Battle of the Boyne (Orangeman's Day)[15] Northern Ireland only
    Last Monday in August Late Summer Bank Holiday Statutory bank holiday from 1971,[12] following a trial period from 1965 to 1970. Replaced the first Monday in August (formerly commonly known as "August Bank Holiday".[1][4][12] The legislation does not specify a name for the holiday, merely when it occurs.
    25 December Christmas Day Traditional common law holiday[1][2][3][4]
    26 December (see Notes) Boxing Day Statutory bank holiday. Legislation does not name the holiday, but states that it falls on "26th December, if it be not a Sunday."[12]
    27 December not named Statutory bank holiday only in a year in which 25 December is either on a Saturday or Sunday.[12] This has the effect of adding an extra holiday when Christmas Day falls on a Sunday.
    28 December not named By Royal Proclamation (example for 2015). This is an extra holiday added when either Christmas Day or Boxing Day falls on a Saturday.
    Total 8 (England & Wales)
    10 (Northern Ireland)

Comment

[MENTION=39710]des8[/MENTION]

Thanks for that, des.

My reason for asking was that I was looking at the prescribed period allowed for a s77-79 CCA request.
      From what I can see, from the Consumer Credit (Prescribed Periods for Giving Information) Regulations 1983 SI No 1569
      The period of 12 working days is hereby prescribed for the purposes of each provision of the Act specified in Column 1 of the Schedule to these Regulations relating to the duty indicated in Column 2 in relation to regulated agreements.
      The Schedule lists ss77-79 requests (among other things).
      So not 12 calendar days, then?
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

I read "12 working days" as not including public holidays.
        However my kids would say that would mean never for anyone who is retired, as we don't work, just laze around all day:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          I read "12 working days" as not including public holidays.
          However my kids would say that would mean never for anyone who is retired, as we don't work, just laze around all day:tinysmile_twink_t2:
          Lol!

I'd go back to work just for a rest!
          The Devil makes work, etc (Have you met my OH?)

s189 CCA
          http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/section/189

“working day ” means any day other than—
          (a)
          Saturday or Sunday,
          (b)
          Christmas Day or Good Friday,
          (c)
          a bank holiday within the meaning given by section 1 of the M7Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971.

CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X