• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Engagement Ring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engagement Ring

Good morning,

After splitting with my ex partner in May 2016 I stupidly asked her to look after an engagement ring in September 2016 in the hope that one day we would get back together. (Love is blind!)
    I have been hit with the realisation that we will not get back together and have been requesting the ring to be returned for the last 6 weeks.
    I was told by my ex that the reason she didn't give it back to me in December was that she was in fear of me proposing! She promised it would be returned in the new year and I have an email 29/12/16 to say that it would be put through my letterbox 3rd January 2017.

Surprise, surprise I had yet another email explaining that she didn't have the safe code and that it would be returned yesterday. Again no sign of it!

The ring is worth around £1,000 and I just want it returned. What are my next steps? I fear that she is going to play the harassment card if I try and contact her about it.

Thanks in advance from a broken heart. :tinysmile_hmm_t2:
    Tags: None

Re: Engagement Ring

Ask again first.

Also look up letter before action.

Comment

Hi Barty,

I think you may be in a bit of difficulty here on getting the engagement ring back. Under section 3 of the Law Reform (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1970, there is a presumption that engagement rings are an absolute gift unless the ring was made on some condition. For example, if you said that she can keep the ring on the proviso that you are both married to one another and you have now broken up, then she must return the ring. Otherwise the ring is hers to keep and is up to her as to what she wants to do with it.

The fact that she promised to return the ring to you but has failed to do so on a number of times would have to be shown that she intended to gift it back to you, and that would be a matter for the court to decide.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

From the OPs post I would presume no engagement actually took place?

"Under section 3 of the Law Reform (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1970, there is a presumption that engagement rings are an absolute gift "

If no engagement then the above does not apply.

Comment

The OP will need to clarify then, if no engagement ever took place, then it is simply a case of his ex holding the ring on his behalf or alternatively that she may only retain the ring providing that they get back together and presumably marry at some point.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

dis - engaged, then no reason not to return - i.e. usually thrown back!

Comment

No formal engagement took place. I explained to her that as I would be moving house and I didn't want the ring to be lost she took the ring and stored it in a safe as far as I am aware. I stupidly thought that her keeping hold of the ring would somehow help us get back together and then one day.

This was the email 29/12/16:
              Hi Barty9

Yes ring will be returned on tues 3rd

Comment

did it arrive on the 3rd, if not give them a Ring!

Comment

I would call her but she has blocked my mobile number from receiving calls or texts - email and letter correspondence only.

Comment

letter before action maybe? only if you mean it! otherwise forget it and get on with your life?

Comment

I think a letter is the answer at this stage as I have now come this far and the head gasket on my car went last week! if it was a cheap ring i would just write it off.

Comment

then LBA giving say 14 days to return, then set the court on her! b stop being soft! taking you for a mug???

Comment

the rose tinted glasses have slowly come off my face and I am ready to sort this out in the correct manner. Thanks for all the advice and guidance as always.

Comment

Originally posted by barty9 View Post
                            Thanks in advance from a broken heart. :tinysmile_hmm_t2:
                            This is such a sad story.

Recovering the ring won't mend your broken heart or your car's head gasket.

As long as she has your ring then you both have reason to remain in contact. Could that be why she's not returning it? You are assuming that she's keeping it for negative reasons.

But then again by continually asking her to return it, you are sending out the signal that there's 'no going back' and the relationship is finally over. Is that what you want?

On the practical side you say you split up with your ex in May 2016. But it appears you didn't give her the ring until September 2016 when you asked her to "look after" it. You then say she told you the reason she didn't return it to you was because she feared you'd propose.

This implies there was no engagement (unless I've misunderstood). No contract was entered into and no contract broken as far as I can see.

After splitting with my ex partner in May 2016 I stupidly asked her to look after an engagement ring in September 2016 in the hope that one day we would get back together.
                            I was told by my ex that the reason she didn't give it back to me in December was that she was in fear of me proposing!
                            I do hope this tale has a Happy Ending because you sound so upset. If this conversation was taking place on Twitter it would be trending right now, and you'd be getting all sorts of advice on how to mend a broken heart not legal advice on how to recover your money.

I wish you well.

Di

Comment

Hi Di

Thanks for coming back to me with a gentle response, it is bloody hard going trying to sort all this out.
                              I don't really know why she is keeping the ring. It is beautiful just like my ex but I feel once the ring is returned then I can close the door on our relationship.
                              I didn't want the relationship to end and she very much knows this but has decided to block all contact with me which is confusing.

I could let her keep the ring but in my heart and mind this isn't the right thing to do because I didn't formally get down on one knee and make the proposal.

A letter will be sent tomorrow requesting the ring back.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X