• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Vehicle collision - claiming back my excess from third party

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle collision - claiming back my excess from third party

Last month a highways repair truck travelling in the lane next to me decided to come in to the lane that my car was already in, causing damage sufficient to write off my vehicle.

I went through the the process of repairing the car myself while insisting that they let me keep it, they did so and paid out the full assessed value, minus the excess (£200). As long as I got a new MOT they were prepared to continue the policy for the rest of the term, too.

I just had an email to say that the third party has accepted full liability, eventually. The company that manages claims for Sabre has told me that I will need to contact the liable insurers to claim back my excess. Or they suggested that I contact the broker (Swinton) to see if I have legal expenses cover to help me claim backpack the excess (I don't think I do).

Is this normal? Do I just write to the liable insurers with the claim information, and ask them to send me a cheque?

I've never been in this situation before! Thanks for any advice.
    Tags: None

Re: Vehicle collision - claiming back my excess from third party

Yes!
    If your insurers have told you the name of the other insurers write to them requesting payment of all your uninsured losses.
    These will be your excess, plus any costs you encountered in making the claim (postage/phone calls), extra expense caused by having to use public transport (fares) & loss of use of your vehicle between the date of the accident and you completing repairs(if it was nt drivable) OR cost of a hire car.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks for that [MENTION=39710]des8[/MENTION].

They didn't tell me who the other insurers are, but fortunately I already know from information given to me by the company that own the vehicle.

I had a courtesy car but it wasn't provided to me for the first few days of the claim, so I had to borrow a vehicle for that time as mine was off the road.

Otherwise i didn't really incur any expenses, though there will be maybe a few pounds for postage when i send letters to them. Any telephone calls would probably have been within free allocation, most of it was done by email.

Any idea if there is a template that's suitable for this sort of thing?

Comment

No templates that I am aware of.
        Just a letter:
        re accident date dd/mm/year
        your insured: ABC
        vehicle Highway repair truck registration no XXXXXXX.

On date Dd/mm/yy whilst driving my vehicle, a xyz model ab registration number XXXXXXX
        the above captioned vehicle collided with mine.
        The circumstances are such that I hold your driver ioo% liable, and my insurers , Sabre ins Co, have confirmed liability has been admitted.
        I therefore look to you for reimbursement of my uninsured losses which consist of :
        Excess £xxx
        sundry postage and phone costs estimated at £xx.
        Your cheque within 14 days would be appreciated.
        YRs ..

Comment

Thanks for your assistance. I will send it off and let you know how I get on.

Comment

Pleased to be able to report that I have today received a check from Axa in respect of my uninsured losses.

This was not particularly straightforward, as my initial polite letter, delivered on the 29th December, was completely ignored.

A further letter, which threatened court action and which was delivered on 7th of February, produced a cheque within 3 days.

Thank you to [MENTION=39710]des8[/MENTION] for the useful assistance above.

Comment

Well done & thanks for the update

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X