• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Serious breach of data

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious breach of data

Hello all,

This isnt really a dispute but I'm after some advice.

I used to work for a company. Within that company I had vast amount of access to customer data... I'm talking everything.
    I've left this company about 6 months ago but I have just found out I still have access to this.
    The reason why I ask here first is that this is a children's services organization. This data is extremely sensitive and I don't want to be in a position where I'm accused of anything.
    Also, I didn't leave the company in bad blood per se but while I was there I was unfairly blamed for issues which was acknowledged but I'm still precaucious.
    I don't want to go straight to the company and say this in case something comes back to me. But this is a very serious issue.
    Tags: None

Re: Serious breach of data

Originally posted by Devil666x View Post
    Hello all,

This isnt really a dispute but I'm after some advice.

I used to work for a company. Within that company I had vast amount of access to customer data... I'm talking everything.
    I've left this company about 6 months ago but I have just found out I still have access to this.
    The reason why I ask here first is that this is a children's services organization. This data is extremely sensitive and I don't want to be in a position where I'm accused of anything.
    Also, I didn't leave the company in bad blood per se but while I was there I was unfairly blamed for issues which was acknowledged but I'm still precaucious.
    I don't want to go straight to the company and say this in case something comes back to me. But this is a very serious issue.
    Good morning, welcome to LB,

I advise you to immediately report this to the organisations Data Controller the there can be no come back situation.

nem

Comment

As Nem has said an immediate report to the data controller. Immediately follow up with an email or signed for letter to prove you have acted correctly and to have a paper trail.
      Last edited by seduraed; 21st December 2016, 14:29:PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

How did you access this data?
        Is your old login still active?

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I don't know who the data controller is. I do have the email of the ceo and my ex manager.
          Just to clear up, I didn't access the data.
          I just accidentally discovered I still have access to the system, and the system holds all the personal and company data. The system also has a log to show what data has been accessed etc so in that sense I am ok. (I put the system in place while I was there)

- - - Updated - - -

Yes the login is still active. Even my old password is still the same.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I don't know who the data controller is. I do have the email of the ceo and my ex manager.
            I just accidentally discovered I still have access to the system, and the system holds all the personal and company data. The system also has a log to show what data has been accessed etc so in that sense I am ok. (I put the system in place while I was there)

- - - Updated - - -

Just address the letter /e-mail as follows.

Private & Confidential
            For The Attention of
            The Data Controller
            aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa etc
            nem

Comment

- - - Updated - - -

Email admin@"COYNAME". whatever

informing them that they have not deleted "A" login/account.

As your are not employed by them anymore be aware that you have committed a data breach which may have repercussions.

I would set up a disposable email address and use that.

word it so that you will not be implicated.

Comment

Ok now that's worried me.
                It seems like it's one of those situations that trying to do the right thing might get me up sh%ts Creek.

Comment

Ok now that's worried me.
                  It seems like it's one of those situations that trying to do the right thing might get me up sh%ts Creek.
                  Best option then is to do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by paulajayne View Post
                    Best option then is to do nothing.
                    No, it isn't. The OP has access to children's data. The fact that they may not have accessed it is not relevant. They need to inform the company. It doesn't matter whether they tell the data controller, their former manager or the CEO - but they need to do it and they need to keep evidence that they have done it.

Comment

I agree, the OP needs to let the data controller know. How he phrases the email would be as part of a due diligence on his part. So words to the effect of "I was clearing my old log in and just wanted to check that my account had been deactivated . I have to report that it has not been done and wish to report this as a datA breach.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X