• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

** DISCONTINUED ** Lowells Bank Overdraft Paperwork -

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ** DISCONTINUED ** Lowells Bank Overdraft Paperwork -

Lowell currently have a case against me to be heard on Friday 23rd Dec - I requested details of the alleged bank overdraft that they say is mine back in June - then again a follow up letter in August.
    I now have some details about the account but Lowell have sent them in the witness statements, so I had not seen them before I sent my witness statement to Lowell and the court.
    Is this fair and allowed as I had not had any chance to respond or ask further details in regards to the paperwork?

The bank account is not titled in my name but a business name, should there not be any details in regards to me and this business?

There are no terms and conditions for the bank account with an overdraft facility - I looked HSBC business banking up, there should've been terms and conditions for this type of account - possibly?

The account is from Oct 2007 - 26 Jan 2011 (possibly).
    They have copied bank statements, claimants case management report from HSBC and what appears to be a copied from the computer type letter regarding default, a rather blank looking "your account has been sold " supposedly from HSBC to me and a introduction letter from Lowells both dated same day.

Rather lost in where do I go from here ?
    Last edited by purplestar; 19th December 2016, 00:55:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: Lowells Bank Overdraft Paperwork - can i ask for the agreement details?

Anybody have any advice?

Comment

Hi purplestar & welcome to LB.

With less than a week to go until the hearing, this is a bit lastminute.com.
      The bank account is not titled in my name but a business name, should there not be any details in regards to me and this business?
      Ltd company or sole trader? (maybe t/a name)? Other?
      Were your requests for info via CPR?
      I'm guessing this is Small Claims; could you confirm?
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi, yes sorry i know its late problem is I am also suffering from an ongoing illness so can only get my head around all of this when i am able.
        Soletrader
        CPR18 request
        Its a small claim

Comment

Im confused by the default date on account Lowell have given. The last time the account had anything paid into it was 24th Jan 2010 - then until 24 Jan 2011 various DDs were reversed and charges made being overdrawn and interest. The account ran for a whole year like this before the bank closed the account and sold the debt.

Comment

Originally posted by purplestar View Post
            Hi, yes sorry i know its late problem is I am also suffering from an ongoing illness so can only get my head around all of this when i am able.
            Soletrader
            You are liable.
            Although it's common to also state a t/a name on the claim form, it's not absolutely necessary to do so.
            CPR18 request
            CPR 31.14 is used for document disclosure.
            CPR 18 is more properly used as an interrogatory.

Its a small claim
            Usual SCT procedure is for exchanging info 14 days before hearing.
            ####
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

So what do i do now? Lowell say i had a letter from the bank and from them in 2013 , I did not - would this have been sent via recorded delivery?

Comment

Im confused by the default date on account Lowell have given. The last time the account had anything paid into it was 24th Jan 2010 - then until 24 Jan 2011 various DDs were reversed and charges made being overdrawn and interest. The account ran for a whole year like this before the bank closed the account and sold the debt.
                You would need to carefully scrutinise the terms & conditions which applied at the time of default.
                To rely on a Limitation Act defence you would need to show that the cause of action occurred at least 6 years before the court claim, & that there have been no payments (or written acknowledgement of the debt) made by you in the interim.
                The cause of action will be the date which the original creditor accepted the breach (ie stopped the o/d facility, basically).
                It's not unusual, however, for a bank account to tickle on for ages even if there is no payment in or out.
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

So what do i do now? Lowell say i had a letter from the bank and from them in 2013 ,
                  Notices of Assignment
                  I did not
                  Can you absolutely definitely prove this?
                  - would this have been sent via recorded delivery?
                  Nope - 1st class would be ok.
                  ####
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Lowells claim the default date is 29 December 2010

Comment

I cannot ultimately prove i did not have the letters they allege to have sent me - but can they prove they sent them to me ?

Comment

Lowells claim the default date is 29 December 2010
                        So the claim, according to them, has been issued within the 6 year period.
                        Once issued, it pauses the statute-barred 'clock'.

I cannot ultimately prove i did not have the letters they allege to have sent me - but can they prove they sent them to me ?
                        Probably.
                        If they produce evidence to show that the notices were sent, you would then have to provide evidence to show to the contrary.
                        Just saying that you haven't received either of the notices wouldn't, imho, be sufficient. Anyway, it will be a judge who will decide
                        ####
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

In a "nutshell" the business i think this account may be for was started by my ex husband in my name ( for various reasons that he had) when i started proceedings to divorce him I became seriously ill the business was falsely continued to be ran in my name ( by a person unknown to me ) as i was too ill to take control of it properly ( police were involved and statements given by Accountant) police done nothing to help - although i was able to close down a number of avenues to stop the perpetrator a few remained running due to agreements etc. I tried to get legal help, but it wasnt available for business owners, i had nothing left it was all tied up in the business - all I could do was walk away due to health matters and a disabled child that needed me more. I also tried to make the business insolvent but was refused as they said I had no control over it anymore.

Comment

Did you give legal permission/authorisation for the account? (Not necessarily for the way it was ultimately used, but more for the ability for it to be used by your ex?).
                            Was it jointly & severally liability?
                            Did the police investigate? If so, what was their reason for not pursuing? No fraud, so civil matter?
                            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Yes I gave permission in the beginning.
                              No joint liability
                              The police started to investigate but said it was a civil matter - my accountant argued it wasn't, it was theft but they were unwilling to do anything unless I done something that would involve them being called out - ie take control back of the business by force, the perpetrator had gone as far as changing all the locks even though it was a council property on lease - the council done nothing to help either if the police would not, but did supply me with a copy of the lease in my name to give to the police. All the paperwork, including this bank account, everyone i traded with was in the office of the business - i have never caught sight of any of it again.
                              I was fighting a child custody case at the time so could not risk getting involved in arguments, fights etc to gain control of my business, it was actually suggested by the police that I start a fight so they would be called.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X