• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wallace Sacks!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wallace Sacks!

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
    I agree with that.

I've read other things on the internet where it's been stated that they have changed their China supplier which has caused delays in production.

Trix1970 says they were offered (and accepted) a 10% discount on their order if they were willing to wait until mid January for delivery. They accepted that offer. One of the sofas was ready to deliver in mid January (apparently) but the OP appears to have rejected it.

Perhaps, as you say, the company was undergoing a financial restructuring but there's no indication (that I have seen) that they were in financial difficulties. The last accounts show a gross profit of £1.9 million in 2016. Something dreadful must have happened for it to have nose-dived to "bust" status in such a short time.

The OP of this thread got their money back. Let's hope Trix1970 does too.

However they may have weakened their argument if they willingly entered into an agreement which allowed for the delay and in which they say they were given and accepted a discount accordingly.

Di
    Total order was £1647.00, so the discount was £167.40. They actually owe a balance of £1479.60 now. They said there was another delay mid jan, so I said I had no alternative but to cancel, then they said 'no, wait, the sofas are in our warehouse, when can we deliver?' Delivery was arranged for 24/1. Courier liased well, all seemed good. Only one sofa arrived!! I wasn't happy and said I was prepared to wait until the next day for both to be delivered (I wanted to see I had a matching pair!!) but Wallace Sacks said this wasn't possible so I cancelled.

Comment

Would you want the sofas which you say have been in their warehouse since last month as predicted, if they were both delivered together so you could check they matched?

What you describe may have been a delivery issue with the courier (for the second sofa) who couldn't return the next day as you requested. Were you offered another delivery date?

I'm not saying you should accept them, I'm simply asking if you want them.

Di
      Last edited by Diana M; 19th February 2017, 12:52:PM. Reason: added delivery question

Comment

Would you want the sofas which you say have been in their warehouse since last month as predicted, if they were both delivered together so you could check they matched?

What you describe may have been a delivery issue with the courier (for the second sofa) who couldn't return the next day as you requested. Were you offered another delivery date?

I'm not saying you should accept them, I'm simply asking if you want them.

Di
        I do want the sofas, but I no longer trust the company. I'm also seeing bad feedback out the 'lifetime guarantee' they're offering. Two couriers contacted me initially, I gave both my phone number, and I gave Wallace Sacks the number. One courier went quiet, the other continued contact. I assumed different couriers were used for different legs of the journey. Apparently 2 couriers were used for each sofa?? The one that was delivered was on a nearly empty truck? Even the truck company were surprised they only had one when I ordered two. Why would they come from the same place on separate couriers. Wallace Sacks knew I had a delivery date of the 24th, as they also confirmed the delivery date. I was careful how I accepted the 10%, and it took several weeks before they even gave me that. I did say on the proviso all went as promised otherwise I will be changing my mind

- - - Updated - - -

It's gone on so long, I just want my money back. The money used was left to me by a dear friend who passed away. The whole last few months have been so upsetting

Comment

Originally posted by Trix1970 View Post
          I do want the sofas, but I no longer trust the company.
          I went through a similar scenario recently with a Chesterfield sofa (different company) but I had fallen in love with the product and nothing else would have worked in my home.

In the end we settled on my paying 50% of the cost. I'm a tough negotiator when I need to be

Have you checked their website to see if the same sofa is in their current sale? If it is you could offer to settle with a price match (if you still want them)..

Di

Comment

I'm also seeing bad feedback out the 'lifetime guarantee' they're offering.
            What worries you about the lifetime guarantee? It won't affect your statutory rights.

Were you told that the warranty was backed by an insurer and if so have you seen the full Ts & Cs? If it is underwritten by a third party you need to know if it would still stand if the business went 'bust'.

I've peeked at the exclusion clauses and they seem to be 'the usual'. They've added one which says you wouldn't be covered if "an elephant sat on it". You have been warned

These are the Ts & Cs of the lifetime warranty from their website:

Lifetime warranty on Iconic Furniture products
            In keeping with the iconic nature of the product and to reflect the supreme confidence that we have in it we are offering an unbeatable warranty -

If your Wallace Sacks iconic furnishing item ever fails or breaks during its lifetime we will repair it or if this is not economically viable replace it free of charge!
            The only exclusions are –
            If the item has been damaged through either an insurable or accidental or malicious event so that includes fire, flood, children and dogs.
            If it has been used in a way that it wasn’t designed to such as outdoors or in a high traffic location such as a waiting room or an elephant sat on it.
            If the “failure” is just normal wear and tear, so if for example the colour has faded because the leather has been exposed to a sunny location over a 15 year period that wouldn’t be covered.
            The warranty is not transferable so it only relates to the original owner.
            To claim just call us anytime and if we agree that it may be covered then you will need to deliver the item to our workshop in London for the work to be carried out free of charge and collect it when it is completed. Even if it isn’t covered we will still undertake repairs at a highly subsidised cost so just call.
            Wallace Sacks has been trading since 1980 so we don’t make this promise lightly as we fully intend to be around for the next 35 years to honour our commitment to you.
            This warranty does not affect your statutory rights.

Di

Comment

What worries you about the lifetime guarantee? It won't affect your statutory rights.

Were you told that the warranty was backed by an insurer and if so have you seen the full Ts & Cs? If it is underwritten by a third party you need to know if it would still stand if the business went 'bust'.

I've peeked at the exclusion clauses and they seem to be 'the usual'. They've added one which says you wouldn't be covered if "an elephant sat on it". You have been warned

These are the Ts & Cs of the lifetime warranty from their website:

Lifetime warranty on Iconic Furniture products
              In keeping with the iconic nature of the product and to reflect the supreme confidence that we have in it we are offering an unbeatable warranty -

If your Wallace Sacks iconic furnishing item ever fails or breaks during its lifetime we will repair it or if this is not economically viable replace it free of charge!
              The only exclusions are –
              If the item has been damaged through either an insurable or accidental or malicious event so that includes fire, flood, children and dogs.
              If it has been used in a way that it wasn’t designed to such as outdoors or in a high traffic location such as a waiting room or an elephant sat on it.
              If the “failure” is just normal wear and tear, so if for example the colour has faded because the leather has been exposed to a sunny location over a 15 year period that wouldn’t be covered.
              The warranty is not transferable so it only relates to the original owner.
              To claim just call us anytime and if we agree that it may be covered then you will need to deliver the item to our workshop in London for the work to be carried out free of charge and collect it when it is completed. Even if it isn’t covered we will still undertake repairs at a highly subsidised cost so just call.
              Wallace Sacks has been trading since 1980 so we don’t make this promise lightly as we fully intend to be around for the next 35 years to honour our commitment to you.
              This warranty does not affect your statutory rights.

Di
              On the trust pilot site, someone had a faulty item, Ws refused to honour the lifetime guarantee. The delivery got as far as one sofa being placed on my driveway, when I questioned where the second sofa was, the driver said 'you only ordered 1'... I quickly contacted WS, they didn't have an immediate answer. I said I'm not accepting one sofa on its own, unless both can be delivered tomorrow I'm cancelling. An hour later they said the other sofa was with another delivery company, by this time sofa number 1
              Was already on it's way back

Comment

On the trust pilot site, someone had a faulty item, Ws refused to honour the lifetime guarantee. The delivery got as far as one sofa being placed on my driveway, when I questioned where the second sofa was, the driver said 'you only ordered 1'... I quickly contacted WS, they didn't have an immediate answer. I said I'm not accepting one sofa on its own, unless both can be delivered tomorrow I'm cancelling. An hour later they said the other sofa was with another delivery company, by this time sofa number 1
                Was already on it's way back
                Maybe an elephant sat on the sofa belonging to the disgruntled poster on the Trust Pilot site

There does seem to have been a delivery mix-up with your two sofas which appear to have been coming from different warehouses or distribution centres albeit on the same day from what you say. They seemed to have missed each other by an hour.

Anyway it doesn't matter, the point is even though you want the sofas and they may be available, you don't want to continue with the purchase made and you want your money back because you've lost trust in the retailer.

The only thing I'll add is don't always believe (and act on) what you read on review websites where people with bad experiences are likely to make more noise than those who are happy with their purchases. I can never be bothered to fill in those review email surveys which fill up my Inbox after I buy something online which went well, but I'm the first to rant when something goes wrong. It's a question of balance.

I wish you well in whatever you decide to do next. And I'm sorry for the loss of your dear friend who left you the money to fund your sofas. I hope you find substitute ones which are even nicer soon.

Di

Comment

Maybe an elephant sat on the sofa belonging to the disgruntled poster on the Trust Pilot site

There does seem to have been a delivery mix-up with your two sofas which appear to have been coming from different warehouses or distribution centres albeit on the same day from what you say. They seemed to have missed each other by an hour.

Anyway it doesn't matter, the point is even though you want the sofas and they may be available, you don't want to continue with the purchase made and you want your money back because you've lost trust in the retailer.

The only thing I'll add is don't always believe (and act on) what you read on review websites where people with bad experiences are likely to make more noise than those who are happy with their purchases. I can never be bothered to fill in those review email surveys which fill up my Inbox after I buy something online which went well, but I'm the first to rant when something goes wrong. It's a question of balance.

I wish you well in whatever you decide to do next. And I'm sorry for the loss of your dear friend who left you the money to fund your sofas. I hope you find substitute ones which are even nicer soon.

Di
                  That's just it, it's doubtful the second sofa was even scheduled for delivery, no one has heard from the other courier since they were given my phone number.... one big mess

Comment

Hi

New member here. Not sure whether I should start a new thread or simply jump on the bandwagon!

I bought a chair/ottoman from Wallace Sacks on 2nd Jan 2017, also with a 4-6 week delivery period. That was last week.
                    I tried calling the week before to discuss delivery slots, and got only a voicemail from their only number listed. I also left an email with their 'customer care' address.

Surprise surprise I haven't heard back from anyone to date. I have left a number of voicemails stating I am prepared to start legal proceedings if I don't hear from anyone, and also now raised a 'ticket' through their website, citing the now overdue delivery.

As mentioned by someone else, I want the product. But, I am now not sure I'll receive it or indeed a refund. The chair/ottoman (Eames style lounge chair) was purchased using a Debit card, not a credit card. I'll need to speak with my bank to see if there's any insurance/cover for the purchase but I doubt it. I could purchase the chair from another seller, but not at the same price.

I even recall showing the family the chair I was buying as it was screened on ITV over the Xmas/New Year holidays! I don't want to lose the £650 price paid. I want the product purchased, and would wait for the delivery if I could actually speak to someone from Wallace Sacks. The trouble is there's no evidence they exist. Very unscrupulous is they were advertising on TV and receiving payment on the back of that, knowing they weren't going to fulfil any orders - just take the money and run...

They must be taking the voicemails or deleting them. I assume the messages left must be recorded onto something, so presumably it's either a huge storage disc or no messages are being stored at all...

Very concerned and worried about the possible loss of money.

Comment

Originally posted by QuattroSWB View Post
                      Hi

New member here. Not sure whether I should start a new thread or simply jump on the bandwagon!

I bought a chair/ottoman from Wallace Sacks on 2nd Jan 2017, also with a 4-6 week delivery period. That was last week.
                      I tried calling the week before to discuss delivery slots, and got only a voicemail from their only number listed. I also left an email with their 'customer care' address.

Surprise surprise I haven't heard back from anyone to date. I have left a number of voicemails stating I am prepared to start legal proceedings if I don't hear from anyone, and also now raised a 'ticket' through their website, citing the now overdue delivery.

As mentioned by someone else, I want the product. But, I am now not sure I'll receive it or indeed a refund. The chair/ottoman (Eames style lounge chair) was purchased using a Debit card, not a credit card. I'll need to speak with my bank to see if there's any insurance/cover for the purchase but I doubt it. I could purchase the chair from another seller, but not at the same price.

I even recall showing the family the chair I was buying as it was screened on ITV over the Xmas/New Year holidays! I don't want to lose the £650 price paid. I want the product purchased, and would wait for the delivery if I could actually speak to someone from Wallace Sacks. The trouble is there's no evidence they exist. Very unscrupulous is they were advertising on TV and receiving payment on the back of that, knowing they weren't going to fulfil any orders - just take the money and run...

They must be taking the voicemails or deleting them. I assume the messages left must be recorded onto something, so presumably it's either a huge storage disc or no messages are being stored at all...

Very concerned and worried about the possible loss of money.
                      I paid for mine with a debit card, apparently you get 120 days for a 'charge back' from date of dispute (not transaction). I sent a letter recorded delivery and it was signed for last Tuesday, possibly by the security man!!!

Comment

Thanks for that.
                        Will be sending a letter this week then...

:goodjob:

Comment

I can't get through on the phone either, bank not interested as I'm about 2 weeks out of time for the chargeback scheme! So angry right now

Comment

Fortunately my wife mentioned the bad reviews week before the delivery was due (2 weeks ago), and I've been trying to contact them ever since.
                            If I'd have waited till now before contacting them, that would have been a lot of wasted time...

Comment

I'm trying trading standards now!

Comment

I'm trying trading standards now!
                                The WS website still shows them advertising.
                                The chair I've bought states 'only available until 6th April"!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X