• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Are utility companies allowed to break into your home?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are utility companies allowed to break into your home?

Now, I never believe a word I read in the Daily Mail - not that I read it out of choice - but I was informed of a sob-story where power firm EDF supposedly broke into a couple's flat in Bletchly solely to replace their electricity meter with a pre-paid one. The article says a warrant was sought by EDF but this behaviour sounds like out and out burglary! Link below.

EDF
    Tags: None

Re: Are utility companies allowed to break into your home?

ve hv ways of breaking you down - submit so I can make my millions - I am a Robot! sums this baxxx country to a "T"

Comment

The short answer to your question is YES

Comment

Its a lot easyer for them to do if there a tenant than a property owner.

Buried in most TCs is the rights for the service companys to enter under an emergancy ( they can class all sorts as emergancy )

In relation to court warrents, these can be very sloppy, i have seen them issued for the worngf address and still acted on

Heres a bit of info.

Part of the procedure is sub contracted away fromt eh energy firms, and that firm makes moniy by installing PP meters. ( always foillow the money )

Have had to deal with loads of example of this over the years, just like the one above. They make it very difficult to fight. The most frustrating thing about PP meters as a landlord, is you gewt no say if there installed or not, but some tenats will not move into propertys with PPs if they have no arrears, becasue they know how difficult it can be to get them changed, infact, unless you know what your doing, and have time to do the paperwork to fight, its to hard for the averidge person.

Then, they delay moving the meter as long as poosible ( over the first billing period ) to make it more finacial difficult for the TT to manage.

From a LL perspective, Invoicing them for any woirk or losses seems to do the trick anbd get them working faster
        crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Interesting and thanks for the input. I'm a homeowner and no landlord and have standard meter, never any arrears. I just found the idea of a utility firm breaking into one's home horrifying! Thanks again.

Comment

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...-3/21/contents
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X