• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Halifax credit card- do I have a case?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Halifax credit card- do I have a case?

I have received 3 years worth of back statements through the post (still waiting on the rest of my info!!) these show that my APR is 29.9% and the minimum required monthly payment was less than the interest charged on some months! This makes it a little clearer to me why my balance has reduced at such a ridiculously slow rate, as despite paying at least £320 per month the debt has, on some months, continued to rise. Feeling a little bit trapped by all this.

Comment

I've had a final response letter from halifax. They acknowledge that they didn't supply statements and that I rang on 'numerous occasions' and was wrongly told that I was not eligible to get statements. They also say that they wrongly marked my card as stollen. However they say that they have no intention of repaying me any charges or interest, as on my payment record, they don't think statements would have made any difference to my ability to resolve the debt. They've offered £200 (my interest/charges from my period without statements amount to £12300) . Any advice about what to do now. Is there any point going to the FOS or is my complaint to tenuous?

Comment

Your complaint isn't tenuous, I think it's worth taking to the Ombudsman, but I think it needs to be clear. There are I think two points to make separately.

1) you haven't had statements for 27 months despite asking repeatedly for these. You have been trying to sort out your finances and for this you wanted to know the interest rate. If you have been overpaying debt with a lower interest rate stress this, as if you had known what they were charging you would have been paying less to that other debt and overpaying the Halifax!

2) for some months (name them) the minimum was less than the interest being added. You think this is unfair as it means you have been getting deeper into debt. You also thought it was against the Lending Code which the Halifax subscribes to. If you had been getting your statements earlier, you would have spotted this!

You will help your argument here if you can switch to overpaying the card consistently. As much as possible without getting into more debt elsewhere. This will show what you could have been doing earlier if you had statements.

Lastly, you have obviously got a large balance. Did the Halifax raise your credit limit without asking you? They should have checked that the new limit was going to be affordable for you. If you think it wasn't, you may have a complaint about irresponsible lending, see http://debtcamel.co.uk/refunds-catalogue-credit-card/

Comment

Thanks- I've already filled in the online form on Monday, - and stated points 1 and 2. (They emailed me at 10 on Wednesday saying they'd get back to me within 2 weeks)
          However, point 3 is interesting, the paperwork and statements before Feb 2014 has no APR on it. Just amount paid, balancecetc. (I'm pretty sure it was 18.9 but have no paperwork that shows this) then in Feb 2014 (which is when I believe they stopped statements and is when the account was closed but they claim Nov 2014) 29.9% is shown. So it's difficult for me to say when interest is raised as the paperwork does not show APR prior to 2014 and they have only supplied me with statements from mid 2013. Should I send this to FOS as additional info?

Comment

They shouldnt raise interest on a closed account. And when they raise interest, they should inform you because you have the right to reject the increase and close your account instead, paying off the balance at the current rate, not the higher one. So you should definitely be asking for all the extra interest to be refunded,

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X