• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Past due credit solutions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Past due credit solutions

Hi
    I have received a letter from these people saying that I owe them money from a former Sky account that I terminated in September. However, this is the first I have heard about any debt, nobody has billed me for anything - and I have an email from Sky saying I was paid up!

If I understand this correctly, these people can't do anything to me to make me pay something I don't believe I owe. If I had had a legitimate bill from Sky and they had made a mistake, then I'd have paid them. But I don't take kindly to being told I owe money without any explanation, and I won't be bullied into paying money without one.

But I'm a bit lost as to what I should do next. Advice?
    Tags: None

Re: Past due credit solutions

They appear to be a debt collection company and if so, who are they acting on behalf of? Is it Sky or another company? If another company other than Sky then they would have needed to have informed you that the debt has been assigned for starters.

Does the account details match up with what you have received from Sky? I would be minded to send a copy of the email contents to the debt collectors and tell them the matter should be closed. Any further contact is considered harassment for a non-existent debt unless they can prove otherwise with full details.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you. They say they are acting on behalf of Sky. But I haven't received anything at all from Sky except this email. I had some trouble with Sky - they don't like customers closing their accounts, and actually told me I wasn't allowed to close it! Yeah, right. So I was careful to get everything in writing from them because I didn't trust them. Sky accounts are billed in advance and they had already billed me for the notice period, so they confirmed I owed them nothing.

As I said, if Sky had come back to me and said they'd made a mistake I'd have been happy to pay up- if they gave me proof. But I have had nothing at all from Sky since closing the account. This letter is the first I have heard of any debt.

Comment

I was once chased by them for an alleged outstanding debt to British Gas.
        I completely ignored their letters, and refused to speak to them on 'phone (just cut them off!)
        Eventually they gave up.

Just keep an eye on your credit rating

Comment

Thanks Des, I will. I'm going to send one letter to them and Sky telling them that I pay when I see evidence that I owe something, not just a demand. Like I said, I don't mind paying if a mistake had been made and I owe it. It isn't about the money. It's about the cheek of saying that that I have 4 days to pay a debt I have never had a bill for. The joke of this is that I went to virgin and I'm not that impressed with them, so I was going to serve my contact then go back to Sky. Like that is going to happen now! I have never had single debt due in my entire life, and I'm actually offended!

Oh and they can't phone me - they refused to give virgin the codes to take over the number, so I have a new phone number and they don't know what it is!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X