• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employer holding money without contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employer holding money without contract

Hi there,
    I was working part time for an independent company for just under two years and recently left. I had been exposed to bullying in the work place as others had while working there. This is including two accounts of abuse language towards me, threatening my job and speaking badly of me to colleagues.

We were not under a written contract and I recently gave my notice carefully outlining that there was not an outlined notice period. I gave him notice till the end of the month (I only had that final weekend to work) and gave the option of me leaving immediately with the understanding that I would recieve the money I am owed. I finished the month and therefore was owed a months pay.

It has just passed the usual payday and my previous coworkers have been paid and have not. Is there any chance he is able to do this or am I right in thinking that he's crossed the line?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    Tags: None

Re: Employer holding money without contract

No he has no right to do that. Have you contacted him to ask where the pay is and demand that it is paid without delay.? It may have to end up as small claims court claim but see what is said first. If you can keep it in writing so that you have a document trail. email will do.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
      No he has no right to do that. Have you contacted him to ask where the pay is and demand that it is paid without delay.? It may have to end up as small claims court claim but see what is said first. If you can keep it in writing so that you have a document trail. email will do.
      Hi ostell, thanks for the reply! I have not yet, I thought it would check with more experienced individuals (the forum) before as I am young and have not really experienced anything like this. This will be my next step.

Comment

Firstly, your former employee cannot withhold wages owed to you. The fact you don't have a written contract is immaterial, you had an implied contract, demonstrated by the fact you worked for them and they paid you. However, after one month of employment, you are required to give one weeks notice to your employers, if they then ask you to leave immediately they would have to pay you for the notice period. I would suggest that you send a letter to your former employer, stating how much you're owed and give them 14 days to pay, also advise them if they do not pay within 14 days, you will take legal action.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X