• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Overpayment

Collapse
This thread is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overpayment

I have a situation where someone has been overpaid and has left the company.

Now this story is that this person went on holiday but did not return to work. For absence of work the company procedure was that he was to keep his manager informed of his situation. He complied with this and a SAR has given him this evidence.

The company within about 2 weeks of his disappearance wrote to him informing that wages were frozen from the date of his return from holidays and he has to a certain date to contact his manager or HR else his contract was terminated.

Well he did not receive this letter until a week after this termination date due to him being away from his home. It was recorder delivered to him but he was not at home to receive it. So upon reading the letter he noticed the termination date had passed so he considered his contract nulled.

Since then they are chasing him for 4 days unpaid leave. His argument his they terminated his contract although he kept to the company rules.

Just to add to the situation his manager did not receive his last correspondance until after the termination date as he was away on leave.

Hope you followed that. Anyone think he has a case?

Re: Overpayment

A case for what?

Comment

He owes them 4 days unpaid leave. When he started his holidays he was minus 4 days into his leave entitlement.

Comment

If he owes the money then they can issue a claim against him for it. I am still unsure as to his defence - if he was minus 4 days, then what is his defence?

Comment

His argument is that he intended to return to work but at the time could not due ot personal reasons. He abided by the company policy but they terminated his contract.

He did what they asked but still terminated him.

Comment

Unless i'm missing something here he had unautjhorised absence for 2 weeks.
            Was there a reason for this, medical grounds, was a sick note produced?
            In my company they wouldnt allow me 2 weeks off without any evidence to back the absence up.
            If he used more than his holiday entitlement then they have a right to the money back.

Can you clarity what outcome you are looking for? what arer you trying to achieve

Comment

Did they over pay him?

If they did then they are entitled to recover the money.

If he can show that he had informed them of his absence, which you state above, then this would appear to be a failure of communication, which should be easy to resolve.

Their temination was premature, based on a lack of information, because the manager he had informed about his absence was not around to pass it on to HR.

That does not mean however, that he was not overpaid, if he was, then he may need to pay it back.

Has he communicated this to the company and if so, what was their response?

Comment

Exactly what I thought.

He has communicated with the company and outlined his case. They have not responded to this but have asked for clarification of compliance of the DPA and still have asked for the overpayment back without mention of his argument.

Comment

Originally posted by PKea View Post
                  Unless i'm missing something here he had unautjhorised absence for 2 weeks.
                  Was there a reason for this, medical grounds, was a sick note produced?
                  In my company they wouldnt allow me 2 weeks off without any evidence to back the absence up.
                  If he used more than his holiday entitlement then they have a right to the money back.

Can you clarity what outcome you are looking for? what arer you trying to achieve
                  He wants to know if he has a case to defend. That is should he pay back the unpaid leave after following the company procedures.

Was he wrongly dismissed? Going on the story he has told me and looking at his DPA, just not sure if a judge would look at him favourable.

Comment

Depends what it says in his contract of employment, I would have thought.

A similar thing happened to me a few years ago, I was off sick, but got another job and sent in my resignation. They wrote to me later asking for a return of the wages they'd paid which covered the sick period. Monthly salary had been paid the day before I resigned, and as sickness, hours owing, overtime were done in arrears, what they would have done had I have returned to work was deduct and balance it off the next month. Anyway, they requested the repayment, I wrote back to them pointing out that they hadn't allowed for SSP (I had sent in doctors notes). They wrote back again with a new figure, I offered them xx per month for 12 months. Because it quite clearly stated in my contract that any under/overpayments in salaries would be rectified within 12 months.
                    That was 3 years ago and I haven't heard from them since.
                    Is no longer here

Comment

And TBH, unless his salary was mega-bucks, surely 4 days holiday wouldn't amount to loads of money. Could he offer a token payment per month and hope that sorts it out? Or does he not want to pay it back at all?

But why did he take holiday if he was already minus 4 days leave? Or did the holiday take him into a minus situation? Or am I missing something??
                      Is no longer here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X