• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Notice of Enforcement. What should my daughter do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notice of Enforcement. What should my daughter do?

Hi, Thanks for letting me join.

My daughter has received a notice of enforcement by Bristow Sutor for unpaid council taxes at two properties she previously lived at. I'll explain in more detail.

She has now moved back home (!!) but today received the NOE through the post. It lists the unpaid bills which total over £1800. However it was sent to my address and contains her name and the name of her ex-partner in the debtors section. They split in April and my daughter moved back home then. Obviously her ex-partner does not live here nor has she ever in the past. We have not been able to trace her ex since the split (she left other unpaid debts).

Could someone help with where my daughter stands? Obviously we don't want bailiffs turning up here and she owns nothing of value (in fact nothing). She does work but on minimum wage.

It's put tremendous stress on us and it's almost the final straw. She left home in acrimonious circumstances and came home with her tail between her legs. We thought the worse was over and now this... :tinysmile_cry_t:

Thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Notice of Enforcement. What should my daughter do?

Unfortunately, the occupiers at the time (your daughter and her ex partner) are considered to be jointly liable for the debt. How this works is that the council can pursue any one of the parties. If for example your daughter paid the entire debt, then should would have a legal claim against her ex partner for his 50% part of the debt.

Did your daughter provide her address to the council when she left both properties? If not, it would appear that the council have now located your daughter to a new address and accordingly, have issued her with a Notice of Enforcement.

If you read the notice carefully, it provided that she can make a payment arrangement with Bristow & Sutor. She only has a few days to get this in place in order to avoid an 'enforcement' visit (and the debt increasing by £235).

Has she checked that the amount of council tax is correct? What period is it for?

Comment

She's not really sure herself. It appears that her partner was responsible for paying the council tax... She can recall a red letter from then but that's it.

She works 30 hours a week on minimum wage. Bristow have suggested weekly payments of £171 !!

Comment

What she must do is to call the council in the monring to find out what period she is being charged for. For example, unless she informed that council of the date when she moved out, she could find that a Liability Order was issued for this current year (April 2016 to April 2017).

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X