• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Girlfriend is considering bankruptcy - does she any claim over my house?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girlfriend is considering bankruptcy - does she any claim over my house?

Hi LBs.

My girlfriend is considering bankruptcy, but we want to know if this could affect me at all. Where do I stand, could my house be seen as partly her asset?

Here is the situation:

• My girlfriend of 4 years has around £15,000 of debt. Around £3,000 of her debt is Council Tax arrears from her previous addresses.
    • 99% of her overall debt was accrued before we were together and 100% of it, not to my knowledge.
    • There are a number of creditors, lots of debt is linked to catalogues, mobile phones and Sky.
    • She suffers from mental health issues (Bipolar) and has not been able to work this year.
    • She had serious health problems earlier this year, linked to this debt - which saw a hospital stay.
    • She has a son, who is 10. She receives monthly child benefit of around £80, plus occasional (and small) maintenance payments from her ex-partner (unfortunately his payments aren't reliable at all, so £20-30 per month at best).
    • She has no other income at present due to her health issues.
    • We live together in my house. It is my mortgage, I am the sole person named, I contributed the whole deposit, I pay the Council Tax and everything is up to date.
    • She moved in fully, 3-4 months after I purchased the house, so has lived with me for around 2.5 years.
    • Due to her health problems I pay all bills, including the mortgage, and provide as much as possible to pay for our pets and her and her sons needs.
    • There have only been sporadic periods when she has been able to contribute to the household bills since we have lived together. I would estimate only £500-800 at the very most.

So, right now she has little or no way to pay back her debt. I have helped her with CAP and StepChange to assess the situation and I am currently paying a small amount per week to keep the ball rolling on the Council Tax arrears front as a goodwill gesture. We know this is the priority debt. I will shortly be arranging to pay £1 per month to all other creditors to at least show a willingness to pay debts whilst considering bankruptcy.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ths01; 15th November 2016, 20:30:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Girlfriend is considering bankruptcy - does she any claim over my house?

What did StepChange say? I am asking because from what you have written one debt solution that could work well for her is a Debt Relief Order, see http://debtcamel.co.uk/debt-options/dro/. Are there any reasons StepChange think a DRO isn't suitable - this could be because she has a car worth over £1000? or perhaps she is very unclear about her debts and is worried that she couldn't get a complete list?

But to answer your question, nothing you have said suggests to me that your house may be at risk. See: http://debtcamel.co.uk/partner-bankrupt/

Comment

Hi DC. Thank you very much for this information.

In answer to your questions:
      1. Are there any reasons StepChange think a DRO isn't suitable?
      None given, just that Temp payment agreement or Bankruptcy were the best options. Due to her mental health problems even a very low Temp payment agreement with her debtors is unlikely to be kept to other a fair period of time.
      2. Does she have a car worth over £1000?
      No, she doesn't drive. She has very little by way of possessions, just her clothing and jewellery (again nothing of substantial value jewellery-wise), and no savings.
      3. Is she unclear about her debts?
      Over the last year I've done my best to help pull together all info on her debts with her. I believe we're at least 95% of the way there.

Thanks. I'm going to look to meet with our local CAB to discuss the debts and also StepChange. I will bring up the DRO.

Comment

I think she/you should call StepChange ans ask whether she would qualify for a DRO. If they say not, ask why.

Comment

Thanks. We'll get on to that.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X