• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Taking away holiday/pay after taking time off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking away holiday/pay after taking time off

Hi,

About a month ago my boyfriend's grandfather passed away. My boss knew he was ill and I openly stated that he had passed away when she and I were having a conversation and that I'd most likely have to attend his funeral when the date was confirmed. She stated no objections at this point. So the date came and I attended his funeral. It was only when I came back into work the following day that I would have to either take it as unpaid or holiday.

My question is can my boss do this after the fact? If she had told me before when I brought it up in that conversation then I probably would not have gone as I can't afford to take it as holiday or unpaid. I feel like she's totally tricked me!

Any advice? (I'm in England by the way, so UK law)
    Tags: None

Re: Taking away holiday/pay after taking time off

I think not a close relation would come into play.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

I understand he was not a close relation but my boss surely should have mentioned that I either would not be paid or would have to take the day off as holiday BEFORE I went (perhaps when I brought it up in conversation) and not after, as it isn't as though she had no knowledge that I was going. Had I known this I would probably not have gone...

Comment

What does your contract say about it?

Comment

Hi Paula,

My contract has nothing about funerals in it, only a clause on unauthorised absence and my direct line manager fully authorised this, but now my boss (who also happens to be the financial director and my line manager's boss) is saying that I have to take it as unpaid or holiday...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X