• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Contested Probate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contested Probate

My aunt is the executor of my grandparents' wills. Her husband told me that one or both of the wills are 'void' but my solicitor can see no basis for that suggestion and I remain a 40% residuary beneficiary of the estate. I have been advised to make a written enquiry asking them to provide interim estate accounts showing how my share has been calculated. I'm struggling to compose this letter but don't want to fork out hundreds of pounds for my solicitor to write one for me. My relationship with my aunt and uncle is poor/non-existent so while I would like to remain civil, I'm more interested in receiving my fair share than 'keeping the peace'. If someone could help me with this letter or make any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Contested Probate

Both of the wills? there can only be one will.
    Can I ask has probate been applied for/granted?
    You are entitled to see the estate accounts but not until everyhting is settled or it would not be a true account.
    After probate the will becomes public and you can get a copy of it.

Comment

My grandmothers will is in force, my uncle tried to make out that it was invalid but my solicitor says that's untrue. I would have thought probate had been granted by now (my grandmother died January this year). I was told by my uncle that my aunt is 'honouring the will' by making a cash gift which I would receive by August this year. I have had no communication with either of them since April/May.

Comment

Ok, you can find if probate has been granted and all so a copy of the will HERE it costs £10. You could also give them a call just to check if they have anyhting on record before you actually apply for copies.
        Your aunt has no choice but to honour the will that is her duty as executor.

Comment

I have a copy of the will & grant, I need help with how to word a letter asking for the estate accounts.

Comment

All I would do is keep it short and simple asking if the estate accounts are ready for you to see and ask is there a problem as you were told you would receive your bequest in August.

This is what should be in the accounts

The purpose of the account is to show all the assets of the estate, the payment of debts, administration expenses, income accrued, payments on account made and legacies paid and the balance remaining for the residuary beneficiaries. The balance will normally be represented by a combination of assets transferred to the beneficiaries in kind or cash. Approval of the accounts is shown by signature of the beneficiaries on the accounts releasing the Executors from further liability to the beneficiaries in the absence of fraud or failure to disclose assets.

Comment

Thank you for your help, I am going to text my uncle this afternoon and if no response/not what I want to hear then I will write a letter.

Comment

Yes I would keep it informal for now and then go for the jugular.

Comment

Hahaha I like your style!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X