• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Reference from an old employer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reference from an old employer

Hi All

Wonder if anyone can help.

I was off work recently for 5 weeks due to stress after losing my father and brother within a space of 4 weeks. I needed time to come to terms with the loss.

This was the only occasion of sickness at my current employer, and going even further back the first time in over 6 years that i had anytime off.

However during my time off work i would receive countless emails and calls asking questions about from my manager.

This wasn't what i needed at the time. When i returned to work i was made to feel like i had done something wrong by having time off. I made the choice to hand in my notice of which i leave on the 30th November.

I didn't want to work for a company that didn't care too much for what i had gone through.

They have said they will give me a standard reference, but i don't know what one of those will consist of.

Plus im concerned that any new employer will see my 5 week absence as a bad thing.

Can someone please offer some advice.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Reference from an old employer

A standard reference just confirms that you were employed at that company between X & Y dates. It will not say anything further and is pretty common so won't in itself flag up any problem. If a new employer sees your 5 week absence due to the deaths of your dad AND brother within 4 weeks of each other as a problem ...then you wouldn't want to work there either?

Personally, I think you've done well to restrict your grieving to such a short period of time. Take care and good luck with the new job.
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Hi
      That's what I thought, as it wasn't due to anything work related why I was off and my sickness record for years before was unblemished.

And your right if a new employer sees this as a issue then your right im best not working for them

Comment

Were there any cross words between you and your employers about your time off? I'm puzzled at why they're only happy to provide a standard reference? Given the full circumstances, are they not being rather heartless, in addition to their cold attitude to the time off in itself?
        "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

No cross words. I did say I wasn't happy on how I was treated while I was off and when I came back. But im not the first to be treated in this way, but it didn't effect me at the time so I didn't pay much attention if you know what I mean.
          I don't know why they are only supplying a standard reference, but I suppose most companies do that to cover themselves in some way.
          When I worked in recruitment I would only confirm dates of employment, so its not uncommon.

But to be honest I just want to move on and work for an organisation that respects me and values me.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X