• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Safestyle strikes again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safestyle strikes again

In July I had my roof cleaned and unfortunately it meant that my already rotting wooden windows were made worse. I decided to request some quotes in order to replace them before winter. I saw Anglian and a few independent builders before Safestyle UK. Having had terrible experience previously with shoddy workmanship,I opted for a larger company that I would have guarantees with and could rely on a decent product and service... Ha ha.
    This is especially the case as I have a 7 yr son with a rare genetic condition and low immune system, who has many additional needs and a mental age of a toddler and is attracted to danger as well as disliking change and disruption.
    I selected Safestyle since the sales man who came twice, gave me his word that they would provide a 6 man team and could do all the doors and windows in one day. I was promised solid oak sills to match the style of those already in place. I was promised numerous times (my dad was there too and witnessed this) that the tilt and turn style I was looking at fitted my sons needs. Ie I could finally have a window open in the house without danger of him escaping or hurting himself since it locked into that position by simply turning the key. The turn function was utterly useless as I do not want windows opening into my house that don't have catches of any kind. But the tilt function sold me, so I ordered the whole house in that style and my rear door in a stable door tilt and turn effect. Now being highly paranoid and it being highly important,I did come back to the one day installation, oak sills and tilt lock feature several times to confirm it before signing on the dotted line. I paid extra to get the tilt and turn and the sills rather than keeping my own or having upvc. I took a barclays partner finance 2 year interest free loan to cover the costs, as why wouldn't I,better in my pocket than theirs and paid 10% deposit. The surveyor came and re did all of the salesmans errors on measurements for Windows and told me he was an idiot basically. He also informed me all the windows needed vents,which the sakes guy said they didn't. I reiterated the solid oak sills and reason for tilt and turn to him ( mum was witness to this)
    On confirmation of the installation date I confirmed need for 6 guys and efficient fitting in one day and why. They agreed and said they would note it on the order. I only got the instructions for what to do in preparation in the post the day before installing. Resulting in a chaotic evening of furniture moving and sill clearing and blind removal.
    Day 1: 2 not 6 guys turn up and tell me it will take at least 2 days to do windows. I call manager at Safestyle and he tells me there was no note about 6 installers and even if there was he couldn't have done it. He says I can cancel but then I still wouldn't get 6 guys send would be left with mo blinds and furniture all over for no reason. I agree with him that should they potentially not be able to complete work by end of day 2 another team will come out on day 2.

They start fitting. Nice guys seem to be doing a good job. I go out to look at my new doors and notice the sills,not in oak but cheap thin wood/hardboard of some sort. They call manager and he says it didn't mention oak and that it will take up to 2 weeks to order. They measure depths and lengths for him to do that. Then as it was drafty I asked to shut one of the 4 fitted windows. As I do I asked the fitter to show me the tilt and turn and how to lock it in position. He looks at me like I was mad and says ' oh it doesn't do that!'. I tell him what the sales guy told me. We try the ' just turn the key' and nothing. The other fitter (with 6 yes experience of Safestyle) tries too and says that no,none of the Safestyle windows have that function. I call the manager again. He mentions a regional sales guy coming out the next day to talk to me,but promises to call back. No call back and no regional guy comes. Since they have chopped up my old windows for a third of the house and have no windows available to replace them that actually do what I was told they do,then I was now having visions of Safestyle leaving me with a third oak pvc and the rest my ebony timber. With half term approaching and 4 children due to be sleeping that weekend, I was beside myself. I told the fitters that I wanted than to carry on the next day regardless so that at least I had a full set.
    Day 2; I got all doors and windows fitted but have lots off issues with cracked glass,bits of covers missing, lots of chips out of doors and windows,sills just left with huge gaps as they assured me the oak were on order send would just need fitting, then it would be made good. No dog flap, also on order, no door knocker either. I was told i would get a call from the manager about the other bits asap.

I speak to consumers services in the meantime and report them to trading standards.

No call from the manager for several days. I call them, he isn't available. I call again,he will call me back in ten mins. Nothing. I call again ( 2 weeks have passed) and get cross and ask for names and to speak to someone higher, I get told he will call within the hour. He finally does, same guy. He tells me nothing has been ordered, no sills, no glass no dog flap. He only told me 'he would see what he could do' evidently about the oak. And no, he has no awareness of me trying to call him previously. I ask him why I would have allowed my old (and better quality) sills get ripped out unless I thought he had ordered oak? No reply. Evidently he has spoken to my sales guy and he denies ever mentioning oak or locking tilt windows...what a surprise. I get promised again that a regional guy will come to see me ( today,so we shall see)
    I call barclays finance to ask for help. One woman on one day says that unless those things were specific on the contract they have no way to argue it and that despite not signing the 'customer satisfaction' sheet, that Safestyle could still access the payments! I was astounded but she said it was to protect Safestyle from fraudsters who get stuff then pretend it's no good to avoid payment. I called back today to ask again and was told by a different man, don't worry! They can't take any money without your say so. We can file a section 75 against them about the work you aren't happy with. I told him what the other lady said and that it isn't specified on the contract...again,don't worry! I am very worried that from the look of previous customers comments,they will take the money,lie about what was said and leave me with Windows that my son could get trapped fingers in, or end up ripping the window off the hinges if he turns the handle whilst it is tilted open.

We have already had 4 children sleeping twice in a house with drafts due to open sills and disruption in a life that is stressful enough.I am concerned that I will have to replace all of them again should I actually want safe windows to open. Never again Safestyle! Be warned everyone,they have terrible customer service snd even the fitters said they hear all sorts about the sales teams lying through their teeth to get sales. Any advice please for a single mum at the end of her tether?
    Tags: None

Re: Safestyle strikes again

I ordered new upstairs windows. Their surveyor advised that I needed lintels, which required scaffolding at a cost of £680. When the installers began work, their man asked me, "what's all this scaffolding for?" When I told him, he said that there were already lintels in place, scaffolding wasn't necessary. They refused to refund the £680, but I managed to get a free window (which I didn't really need).
    My second disastrous episode was this month, I ordered a new front door - I should have known better, bu to be fair, their products are actually quite good. The surveyor assured me that all electrical wiring - telephone, doorbell etc would be unaffected. The door is very nice, except that they did not reconnect the door bell, leaving two bare live wires protruding from the outside of the door frame (so much for "safe"style!) I foolishly thought that it would be easily rectified but their customer service is abysmal. The phone is permanently engaged, if emails are answered, they are written by either a child or a person with limited knowledge of english. Today they have denied liability for the problem. They think I will give up... Watch this space, look out cowboys

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X