• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

just completed a bad apprenticeship and now i want to leave, but there is a fee?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just completed a bad apprenticeship and now i want to leave, but there is a fee?

Dear sir/madam.
    My names beki. I was an apprentice. I have just finished this year. I have been at my company five years now. I am not happy with my apprenticeship and never have been but i didnt want to quite and start all over again somewhere else. When i first joined, i felt proud. It was a difficult selection process which include an interview and a whole day at a selection centre where i under went four written exams and three practical exams. I was the succesful candidate out of 154 people. I am not happy with the lack of tution on the job at work. I get tossed from piller to post and pushed it to being mechanical bias. Dispite my efforts of telling them I wanted to be electrically biased. I don't feel I learnt much at college due to the fact;

*I was given answers to revise for exams! Still go the papers as proof.
    *My qualifications/ units I was getting changed through out my apprenticeship.
    * one teacher every year deliver us the same PowerPoint presentations and booklets every year. Still got these as proof.
    * I wanted to be electrically biased but got pushed into mechanical.
    *I am not a fully qualified electrician as I was led to believe I would be. But apparently I am good enough for the company's standards and that's how they got around that.
    * last week I had to go back to college for a fifth year to complete a unit the college forgot to deliver us. This was a mechantronics unit with 80 hours guided learning. So what they did was give us some revivision papers online to revise from and we then went in to college for three days to do some more revision before taking our exam on the third day, Wednesday morning. We again got given the answers basically and we all passed.
    * this leaves me with qualifications but i can't use them because I have not been taught.
    * for example my qualifications say I can use CAD but I wouldnt know where to start if you put me on a CAD software.
    * the manager in charge of the apprenticeship is scheme is useless, so there was no point in complaining to her as nothing would change. She twists everything so she doesnt look bad and you get attacting emails back. Others have complained with the hope of it changing for others in the future.
    * on top of all of this we have had a different/ new tutor every few weeks because the college can't seem to keep there staff.

Now my company want me to pay three thousand pounds back for leaving the company after completing my apprenticeship. This doesn't seem fair. I am not sure where I stand. Any help that you can provide would be very much appreciated.

Also not sure if this helps but they offered me a different job at the end of my apprenticeship. Titled maintenance technician planned not craft technician like my contract states.

Thank you. Kind regards
    beki
    Tags: None

Re: just completed a bad apprenticeship and now i want to leave, but there is a fee?

if they offered alternative ! then you refused might be difficult for you? luckily even in 1960 I was lucky the Boss allowed me to leave the apprenticeship without payment, as I would not be able to pay anyway as was on 10 shillings a week, maybe because I was joining the Army!

mind you I also know of building apprentices in the 80s only told at the last minute no job on building firm even at the stage they were on way home end of the final apprenticeship day, they were left out in t he cold = no job. & no come back either.

but this situation you got needs employment advisory ?

Comment

Re: just completed a bad apprenticeship and now i want to leave, but there is a fee?

- - - Updated - - -

Comment

my contract says that the company reserves the right to reclaim 3000 pounds if i leave within one year after completing my apprenticeship, within two years its 2000 and within three its 1000.

would you say this is a genuine estimate of the employers cost? of is this classed as financial penalty? because i read if it classes as financial penalty then i wouldn't have to pay as it becomes unenforceable? thank you i appreciate the advise

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X